2021 Estimated Tax Payment NY IT-2105 vouchers pri...

grizzlyaddams

2021 Estimated Tax Payment NY IT-2105 vouchers printed?

NY IT-2105 Estimated Tax Payment vouchers were printed with my return this year after I filed my 2020 taxes with TurboTax. I have filed with TurboTax for 8 years and these have never printed. Federal vouchers did not print.

I only have W2 income from which my employer withholds my taxes. I also received a refund this year of a few hundred dollars. My tax situation has not changed in any significant way. I have owed a small amount of taxes due in past years, but was never subject to any "underpayment penalty."

Based on my situation, I do not anticipate the need to make estimated tax payments. I also do not recall electing to do so while entering my information in TurboTax, but now that they are filed, I can't go back and look through the questionnaires.

My questions being: Why would these vouchers print given my mundane circumstances? Am I obligated to pay them? Can people whose sole income is from W2 sources be subject to an underpayment penalty in NY State?

Did you have a tax due on your NY return?  The estimates are optional to pay.  They won't be expecting them.  You can ignore them.  Maybe you should increase your withholding at work.

grizzlyaddams

No, I did not have a tax due. In fact I am receiving a state refund of a few hundred dollars, making it all the more perplexing that the vouchers would print.