turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2019 Federal Return Rejected due to Spouse AGI

If you want to efile and really don't want to use snail mail, see my previous post.

userfromnc
Returning Member

I am having the same REJECT issue that everyone else is.  It appears my only option is to print and mail. Clearly TurboTax KNOWS this and should tell people that they cannot efile.  I want the $25 I paid to efile refunded.  What a total ripoff.

@userfromnc wrote:

I am having the same REJECT issue that everyone else is.  It appears my only option is to print and mail. Clearly TurboTax KNOWS this and should tell people that they cannot efile.  I want the $25 I paid to efile refunded.  What a total ripoff.

To contact TurboTax customer service/support use their contact website during business hours. If the problem concerns any type of refund for fees, use the key words billing issues and do Not use the word Refund or you will get a phone number for tax refunds.

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/
Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

Gramsy34
Returning Member

My wife and I have always filed joint returns. My 2019 return was returned due to "SpousePrioYearPIN" or SpousePriorYearAGImt" in the Return Header must match the e-File database. How or where do I find the information the IRS is requesting?

If you filed a Joint return last year you use the same AGI for both spouses.  Sorry to ask but was she deceased in 2019?  There has been a problem when one spouse died during 2019.

userfromnc
Returning Member

yes, that is the case.  sadly the fix is to mail the returns.

Just to be clear on this...

If you cannot efile because your spouse died in 2019, this is strictly because of a bug in TurboTax. It also exists in HRBlock.

I tried filing online with FreeTaxUSA because it was the only free program I could use given that I'm a homeowner and business owner. Perhaps other free programs work, too. I filed the same return that was rejected according to TT, and it was accepted within two hours.
You can send your return by snail mail if you want, but know that there ARE other options.

Answer: yes, deceased during 2019.

DeanB01

I have exact issue and today is Mar 13, 2020, pretty far into the tax season for this bug to still be active...wife died in October and I'm getting same reject message as everyone else from E-File. 

I know 2018 AGI is correct and verified from IRS as well as my 2018 TTax filing.  I will not use Turbotax again if this isn't fixed shortly...and I've used TT for many years.  

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

@DeanB01 Please refer to the following post for additional information regarding this issue:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/bug-report-joint-return-w-deceased-spouse-efile-r...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This is a big fat LIE! This problem has nothing to do with a "locked" SS number. My husband died in May 2019, SS was informed, his SS# and personal accounts were locked.  And it made not one bit a difference when I efiled using software other than TurboTax. Many people on this forum have has exactly the same experience with TT and had instant success with other products.l

Quit lying to people and fix YOUR problem!

My experience with TurboTax 2019 matches yours. After the return was rejected 3 times, I filed it successfully the first time using FreeTaxUSA with the same prior year AGI. The only difference seemed to be that FreeTaxUSA had a few more questions that clarified the process and explicitly asked for BOTH the PINs submitted in the prior year.

I've used TurboTax before without any problems, but have been deeply disappointed this time. So many filers who are dealing with joint returns in the year their spouse passed have reported the same problem, which has not only been unsolved by TT but made worse by misinformation about having to file by snail mail. I paid over $70 for the TT software, which proved useless in this situation and am greatly annoyed by TT's unwillingness or inability to take responsibility, fix the problem, or offer a refund. I had even signed up for a "membership" that I may drop, since that seems to be the only way to express dissatisfaction in a meaningful way. Wow.

Hi Karen.

I use Turbo Tax Deluxe.

I am wondering if the returns are being rejected due to a spouse being deceased before the filing was done, but not in the tax year. You wrote "Also, when going through the personal information for each joint filer, make sure to check the box for 'This tax filer passed away in 2019' for the deceased spouse.". However, my spouse passed away after the first of the year. So for the 2019 Tax filing, my spouse passed on January 25, 2020. I chose to print the returns to mail them. I noticed in the signing area for the federal return, there is an entry for 'Spouse's signature. If a joint return, both must sign'. Then there is the date and then Your occupation is marked 'Retired'. Then under that, there is the entry prepared which states 'Filing as surviving spouse'. Then the Date followed by 'Spouse's occupation'. That also shows as 'Retired'. Shouldn't one of the 'Occupations' be marked as deceased?

State tax form is different where it at least shows that my wife passed away in 2020. However, both signature areas are blank, which I take that they expect both signatures.  The second entry does state 'Spouse's signature (If joint return, both must sign)'.  This would be impossible.

Seems to me that this could be the issue? I can't eFile the state return if the Federal is rejected. 

Regards,

Wes

drb2122

same issue. my wife passed away. turbo tax has a cute little "were sorry" message but this forum seems like they are handling it improperly. another user commented that this was accepted by another softwares preparation

Julia1949

I have the exact same problem. 2018 was also rejected because my spouse's  (husband) AGI did not match the IRS. This year it was rejected for the same reason so I ask for a transcript from the IRS and the AGI matches yet the Federal Return is rejected because my spouses AGI does not match last years filing. I am still filing married joint since my husband died 02/2019. What gives?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies