turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2019 Federal Return Rejected due to Spouse AGI

I am going to give up trying to e-file and file my returns by mail. How do I get back the $19.95 state e-filing fee that I put on my credit card while trying unsuccessfully to e-file?

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

If you are having issues and need assistance, please contact customer support by following the instructions below.   

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have always filed jointly, Spouse passed away in 2019. Keeps getting REJECTED because Spouse AGI. doesn't match last years. Turbo Tax put the statement where my spouse would have signed, "Filing as surviving spouse"

It is a TurboTax problem, plain and simple, and they are refusing to own up to it.

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

@Chiefgil What rejection codes are you receiving? Please respond back so that we can try to help. 

Yes, you can help by fixing your product. Here is the error:

IND-032-04 - 'SpousePriorYearPIN' or 'SpousePriorYearAGIAmt' in the Return Header must match the e-File database.

Like others keep saying, I used the correct API and PIN. Then I used the exact same PIN and AGI with another efiling product and my return was accepted within two hours. 

IND-032-04 here as well, exactly the same problem. I gave up and am filing by mail, but this situation really does need to be resolved. Many, many people lose a spouse during  the year.

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

Unfortunately, due to the deceased spouse's AGI, the social security number is locked and the return must be sent by regular mail.

I ended up mailing my returns to the IRS and NY State. Turbo tax rep told me if I called the IRS they would be able to fix it for me so I could submit it electronically. That information was incorrect. My wife passed away in 2019 so her social security number is frozen. When I called the IRS they pretty much laughed and said TurboTax is making promise's they can't keep, there's nothing they can do for me over the phone. 

I had a similar experience. I called IRS as well and wanted to come in to speak to them. The IRS rep taking the call checked my situation and noted that the return was rejected via efile and indicated because my wife died in 2019 that her SSN was locked and that was probably the hang up. He said coming in to talk them would be a waste of time. I sent in my return by snail mail to the IRS and MD state tax organization and will probably wait a long time for my refunds.

Waltert - Locked SSN is NOT the reason. My late husband's SSN is locked as well.
The problem is that TurboTax, HR Block, and probably other tax programs are not transmitting spouse info properly. 

I found one that transmitted correctly. I efiled the same return, and got an acceptance from the IRS right away.  Read my previous post.  

I need to get my deceased husband's 2018 AIG from our 2018 Turbo Tax return in order to file our 2019 Turbo Tax return. The IRS rejected my return. Please help! I can not access our 2018 Turbo Tax return to find this information.

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

@tracey3660 You can order a free copy of your 2018 tax return transcript from the IRS.  In many cases you can have it delivered digitally, the same day you order it.  This transcript will contain the AGI (Adjusted Gross Income) from your 2018 tax return.  Refer to the following TurboTax FAQ for assistance with obtaining your tax transcript:  How do I get a copy of my tax return or transcript ...

My condolences to you and your family.

I can't believe the number of people having the same problem as me.  My wife died 3-26-2019, so I would logically assume that if the IRS is trying to match her AGI, IT ISN'T GOING TO BE FOUND! I refiled with the AGI on our 2018 return and it still gets rejected. Need some human interface not a computer to talk to!

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@hultmang The reason for this is, enough time has passed and the SSN is locked. The return must unfortunately, be sent by regular mail.

If you would like to speak to the IRS, please see the directions below on how to reach a representative:

How do I contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)?

Note: 

You will need to follow the prompts in order to speak to an IRS agent. There is a high call volume this time of year.

When calling the IRS do NOT choose Option 1.   

Choose Option 2 after you choose the language.   

Then Press 1    

Then Press 3   

Then Press 2, it will then transfer you to an agent.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies