turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mzhang724

1040x owe payment

Hi everyone,

I mailed my 1040x along with a check (owed payments) via USPS certified mail on Jul 9. I just noticed the check has been cleared through my bank transactions. However, IRS still does not provide any status on my 1040x when I checked. Is it normal to have the check cleared before records are shown on the IRS account? I'm afraid my documents and check are in the wrong hands. If anyone has insight on this, please please let me know!

Thank you,

Michelle

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies

1040x owe payment

Not a surprise ... when the envelope was opened the payment went in one direction and is cashed right away ... and the return in another to a department to wait it's turn of being processed. Processing of amended returns will probably take 4-6 months so be patient.

https://www.irs.gov/filing/amended-return-frequently-asked-questions

Katuyej
Returning Member

1040x owe payment

So this what I dont understand is that how did end up owing 18 for 2018 so can get this through TurboTax 

drkastle
Returning Member

1040x owe payment

I have sent my due payment and the check was cashed by treasury. Now I receive a notice of intent to seize (levy) letter from IRS that I owe that amount again. Please advice

1040x owe payment

@drkastle wrote:

I have sent my due payment and the check was cashed by treasury. Now I receive a notice of intent to seize (levy) letter from IRS that I owe that amount again. Please advice

The IRS notice you received has a phone number.  Call the number to get this resolved since you have proof of payment.

drkastle
Returning Member

1040x owe payment

I tried few times and I get automated voice saying: Due to large amount of calls, please call next business day. This happened three days in a row 

1040x owe payment

Send the IRS a copy of the check or bank statement.  Did you send it in with a 1040V voucher?  If you used a 1040ES slip that is to send in an Estimated payment to prepay next year's 2020 return so you don't owe too much.  So they might have applied it to the wrong year.

drkastle
Returning Member

1040x owe payment

I have sent it and this is their second notice. This is for 2019 Tax year. I have filed in July with turbotax electronic. sent the check three days later before the deadline. Check was also cleared three days later by IRS. I have a copy of treasury stamp on the back of the check

1040x owe payment

Ok ... these notices are auto generated by a computer and sometimes the response you sent in to a human has not been processed yet and so the computer sends out another notice.   I would ignore the second notice for now since you know it is wrong  OR   you can send a response again OR  call the number on the notice and see if that can stop the mailings.  

drkastle
Returning Member

1040x owe payment

The first letter that I sent to IRS with proof of payments was in August and now another threating letter. I wonder if it takes them 3-4 months to update my file?

1040x owe payment

Sadly this year it may due to the covid backup ... I would make a phone call first.  Then send the response again if the call doesn't work.  

drkastle
Returning Member

1040x owe payment

That is crazy. I hope they do not seize my property by the time they open my letter. 

drkastle
Returning Member

1040x owe payment

Is there an email address for IRS I can contact about this issue? At least I'll have a trace record in case they do nothing

1040x owe payment

Nope ... the IRS doesn't email.   Either call the number on the notice  OR  make a report in person at a local office.  

drkastle
Returning Member

1040x owe payment

Visiting local office is only by appointment. To make an appointment, you need to call. I've been calling for last three days and all I get is call back at another time due to high volume of calls. It is unrealistic!  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies