Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

itsa24-7

1040x line 15 shows 1000 education credit that was NOT received. Line 21 shows this as being owed. We didn't get it...???

We completed my daughter's 1040 as Non-dependent. Then discovered that we could claim her. We are preparing an amended return for her, so we can list her as dependent. But the 1040X has the education credit, which she did not receive, as being owed.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

1040x line 15 shows 1000 education credit that was NOT received. Line 21 shows this as being owed. We didn't get it...???

Ok... you do NOT mail in the amended return until the original refund is received ... so did she get the original refund yet ?  Did she file the return yet ?  
itsa24-7

She got the original, which was only the taxes paid. I won't file the amended until I understand that it won't generate a bill.
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

If the student filed as a non-dependent and received a 1,000 credit, it most probably was applied to her tax, which is why she received the withheld taxes as a refund. Only the "refundable" portion of the American Opportunity Tax Credit would be a refund. 

Look at the original 1040 for the education credit, it would be figured on Form 8863 and also be on Schedule 3 line 50.

Just because she didn't get a 1,000 refund does not mean she didn't get the credit. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies