turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

shanjb

1040X in Feb of last year, sent info requested, received a letter two weeks ago approving the change and was stated that a check for 1600 plus interest, how long o get it

I filed and received refund for 2016, realized I could also claim my sister filed 1040X on March 15 adding her which would make the return and additional 1,600, a month later received a letter from an auditor requesting bank statments, school records, address verification did not hear anything back till December and I received a letter stating that they were taking an additional 30 days and they would make their decision or request a extension. On January 20 received a letter stating that they approved it and would send a check for the 1,600 plus any interest in 6-8 weeks, question is how much is the rate and or how much will the the final check be and does it really take that long to receive it, shady mail people and neighbors have to be on the look out for it1

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
WillK
Intuit Alumni

1040X in Feb of last year, sent info requested, received a letter two weeks ago approving the change and was stated that a check for 1600 plus interest, how long o get it

Yes it can take at least 6-8 weeks to receive the amended refund from the date the approved it. The IRS pays interest to the taxpayer at the  federal short-term rate plus 3 percentage points which changes each quarter. The IRS publishes interest rates on underpayments and overpayments for every quarter. You can find the rates on the IRS website www.irs.gov.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
WillK
Intuit Alumni

Yes it can take at least 6-8 weeks to receive the amended refund from the date the approved it. The IRS pays interest to the taxpayer at the  federal short-term rate plus 3 percentage points which changes each quarter. The IRS publishes interest rates on underpayments and overpayments for every quarter. You can find the rates on the IRS website www.irs.gov.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Ejean

Just wondering how long it took you to get your amended refund after approval? I’m in that phase now after it took them over 1 year to complete the amendment. Finally approved on 4/27
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies