Anyone else having problem e-filing with IRS Form 2210 under tax reform

When tax reform passed during 2018, I didn't realize I had to increase my withholding for 2018 to pay more tax which I'm now doing for 2019.  However, my 2018 tax went up enough for me to deal with underpayment penalty.  Until 2017, it seems like if you paid more than 90% of actual tax due, you can claim penalty waiver, but for 2018, IRS seems to be doing a one time lowering to 85% which I qualify for.  In part II of Form 2210, I checked box A, You request a waiver of your entire penalty due to tax reform or other reasons.  I put "85% waiver" on box A line.   (I think I qualify for waiver on another criteria other than 85% because I paid more tax in 2017 than tax due in 2018).

However, IRS keeps rejecting my return with code 32-FD-F2210-003 which has to be about Form 2210.  Anyone else having problem e-filing with Form 2210?  I understand I can paper file, but it's not only more convenient to e-file, and it may take months to know if IRS accepted your federal return by paper filing.  Are you required to paper file if you have to file Form 2210?  Do you have to include an explanation in a Word file about why you are requesting the penalty waiver if you have to paper file in this kind of situation?

207 Comments

I'm having the same exact issue.  TurboTax sent me an email today saying the issue is fixed,  so   I re spun through the form again and it showed NO errors.    I filed,  and just got an email saying they rejected me due to Form 2210.

NOW what ????      I can't seem to un check box A in Part II  as before.   Don't know what to do next.

Yes, I totally empathize as I'm in same shoes.   I would think, or at least hope that both IRS and tax software companies are aware of this e-file issue with Form 2210.   This issue with Form 2210 e-file is also affecting State returns as tax reform causing tax increase in federal tax is affecting state tax in my case, and this means underpayment penalty and interest payment to the State.  When there are penalty and interest to be paid whether to the state or federal, the sooner you file and the sooner you pay, the better it would be.  I hope the tax software companies gets this right sooner than later.    Software companies may just tell you to paper file this year, but I highly prefer to e-file, as the cost of the tax software covers 5 federal e-files, and e-file is more convenient, and you can know within one day whether the IRS accepted your federal return.  With paper-file, that's not possible.  I prefer to see that my federal return gets accepted by IRS, and then file with the State, but if you paper file, you can't do that and you just hope that your federal return was accepted by IRS.  

I found that I could click on "explain" button,  on Form 2210 Part II Box A , which I did  by typing " I do NOT owe a penalty,  YOU owe me".

I just re filed again......I'll  see if they accept it this time.   

Do you mean you typed "I do NOT owe a penalty,  YOU owe me" instead of "85% waiver" on Form 2210 Part II Box A line?   Let us know what happens.

I just got off the phone and they said February 22 should be the latest that this will be fixed in the software (we used the Mac Desktop version via CD). 

I was getting e-filing federal error messages with the issue. Message said F2210-003 If Form 2210 Part II Line A Checkbox …..

To uncheck this box:

Go to View and click on Forms

Pull up Form 2210

On top menu go to Edit, click on override and then unclick checkmark on Part II Line A

PC Desktop Home and Business - My filing was rejected as Form 2210 Part II Box A was checked and "Waiver Explanation Statement" was not attached.  In the explanation box it says, "85% Waiver". 

All estimates were timely sent and a refund is due.  There is no reason to file 2210. 

In the forms display, if I delete 2210, it immediately reappears.  If I try an edit override, I can change the explanation box, but I can not uncheck box A.  I suspect that "You Owe Me" is not going to be an explanation that the system will accept.

Until there is an update to allow 2210 to be deleted, I can not e-file.  TurboTax HELP!!!

Just picked the following up on another thread.  So far it seems to work for me  I re-filed and hope it works this time.

guthrie2003
Member

Hey folks!

I don't know if this works online, but...

On form 2210, I right-clicked box A asking for a waiver and chose "override". Then, I unchecked the box.

Form 2210 finally disappeared, and my return looks ready to file (accurately!).

Hope that helps.

Having the same issue using TurboTax online.  Can't find anyway to uncheck the request a waiver box on form 2210  and going to Tools under Tax Tools to delete the form doesn't work - even though it says form deleted, it immediately shows back up.