turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can my mom claim me as a dependent?

Im 18 and got a job in october of 2016. I made 7,000 and had already filed my taxes. I did not state that someone can claim me as a dependent. Is this correct?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JudithR

Can my mom claim me as a dependent?

Your mom could claim you as a dependent if you meet these qualifications:

1. The child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them. 
  2. The child must be (a) under age 19 at the end of the year and younger than you (or your spouse, if filing jointly), (b) under age 24 at the end of the year, a student, and younger than you (or your spouse, if filing jointly), or (c) any age if permanently and totally disabled.  
  3. The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year.moving 
  4. The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year. 
  5. The child must not be filing a joint return for the year (unless that return is filed only to get a refund of income tax withheld or estimated tax paid).

If you do "qualify " you would meed to file (required to file,because of the amount) an amended return 1040X  checking "someone else can claim me"That would need to re mailed in Your mom would also need to mail her return in as well.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies