turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dnrpp

Can I (or shouldn't I ) remove older year versions of TurboTax from my hard drive?

I would like to delete previous years of Turbo Tax from my hard drive to save space.  I do not want to remove the files that have old filings saved.  If I use Windows "Remove Programs" will my old filings still be there.  Also, would I need the old programs to pull up the old filings if I need to.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I (or shouldn't I ) remove older year versions of TurboTax from my hard drive?

Your data files should be saved in Documents then in a Turbo Tax subfolder.  You should have saved both the files ending in .taxyyyy and the PDF files.  You don't need to have the program installed to open a PDF file.  You will need to reinstall the program to open or amend the .tax file.

So before you uninstall the old programs, open them and save each year as a PDF file.  Save it 2 ways.  One PDF of the tax return as filed and save a PDF with all the worksheets.

Removing the programs should not remove the data files.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Your data files should be saved in Documents then in a Turbo Tax subfolder.  You should have saved both the files ending in .taxyyyy and the PDF files.  You don't need to have the program installed to open a PDF file.  You will need to reinstall the program to open or amend the .tax file.

So before you uninstall the old programs, open them and save each year as a PDF file.  Save it 2 ways.  One PDF of the tax return as filed and save a PDF with all the worksheets.

Removing the programs should not remove the data files.

If you can keep the open tax years which is 2014 - 2016.

Do I understand correctly that to amend a 2017 TurboTax file, for example, you MUST use the 2017 TurboTax program, and you cannot use the 2018 or 2019 program? If I have the original installation file, is that enough to guarantee that it will re-install on a new computer? (I.e., Intuit doesn't assume that the file was pirated from someone else, etc., and prevent you from installing a second time on a new machine.)

Thanks for any response

Yes you need to use the same year program to amend.  Yes you can install 2017 on all your computers.  You can still update the program.   

How to move to another computer.  

The programs need to be installed from the CD or download them again.  You don't need to install them unless you need to amend or open a return.

After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to File-New Tax Return).

Then go to FILE -Open and find your return.  You will need the tax file ending in .tax2017 to open in the program.

See this article on how to move your tax return to another computer…….

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/how-do-i-move-my-tax-data-file-to-another-compu...

How to amend 2017

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-a-return-in-turbotax/00/27372

Thank You!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies