Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

carlhw2

Do I say yes when it asks if 1099-MISC work was similar to my "main job," even though the two jobs were never concurrent?

For the first two months of 2015 I was self-employed (Schedule C business), earning 1099-MISC income.  Then I got hired by a company to do the same kind of work (W2 income, full time) and so I stopped the 1099/Sched. C work. I just ask the question because TurboTax phrases this question as if I worked the two jobs at the same time.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

Do I say yes when it asks if 1099-MISC work was similar to my "main job," even though the two jobs were never concurrent?

Your answer really won't make a difference in your return. The 1099-MISC question "Was this work related to your main job?" is only asked to help determine if it was self-employment income. You were already reporting it as self-employment income (Schedule C). 

"Related to your main job" can mean a lot of things. Was the work related to your professional training, previous employment, expected future employment, or was it your only source of income? 

Basically the IRS is trying to find out if the 1099-MISC payment was for work that you typically do, as opposed to a one-time payment for something you hadn't done before and don't expect to do again.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ToddL

Your answer really won't make a difference in your return. The 1099-MISC question "Was this work related to your main job?" is only asked to help determine if it was self-employment income. You were already reporting it as self-employment income (Schedule C). 

"Related to your main job" can mean a lot of things. Was the work related to your professional training, previous employment, expected future employment, or was it your only source of income? 

Basically the IRS is trying to find out if the 1099-MISC payment was for work that you typically do, as opposed to a one-time payment for something you hadn't done before and don't expect to do again.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies