turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wadleyjk

I become unemployed in May 2016 and negotiated with my ex-wife to pick my dependent son on her health insurance. How do I file 1095-B in this case?

I became unemployed in May 2016 and convinced my ex-wife to pick up my son (whom I am claiming as a dependent) on her health insurance while I remained covered all year by my own plan.  He is shown on my 1095-B as only being covered part of the year, but was covered by my plan or her plan the whole year.  I do not see unemployment as a qualifying hardship in the TurboTax guidance.  Will I be penalized?  How can I show he was coverage by a health plan for the whole year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

I become unemployed in May 2016 and negotiated with my ex-wife to pick my dependent son on her health insurance. How do I file 1095-B in this case?

You should select "we all had health insurance all year" because your son was covered by health insurance all year, and according to your information, you were as well.

The Form 1095-B is not a required entry on the tax return, maintain this in your file with your other tax records. If you are questioned later you can get proof of insurance from the mother for your son. (see images attached)

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DianeW
Expert Alumni

You should select "we all had health insurance all year" because your son was covered by health insurance all year, and according to your information, you were as well.

The Form 1095-B is not a required entry on the tax return, maintain this in your file with your other tax records. If you are questioned later you can get proof of insurance from the mother for your son. (see images attached)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies