turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My 16 year old daughter started working in October 2016 she continued to attend high school and we supported her would I still be able to claim her on my taxes

she still lives with us.  Part time work.  earned about 2200 for the 2016 tax year
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

My 16 year old daughter started working in October 2016 she continued to attend high school and we supported her would I still be able to claim her on my taxes

Yes, you can claim your daughter- she is still a child and she couldn't possibly be providing her own support with just $2200.

https://www.irs.gov/uac/who-can-i-claim-as-a-dependent

For your benefit, I just recommend that you go through the interview above.

You may want to have your daughter file her own tax return. However, she will indicate in the Personal Info section of her return that she is being claimed as a dependent on another return. If she had any federal or state taxes withheld, she will get them back. You'll need to create a new account/ username for her return. You can likely prepare her return in the Free version.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can claim your daughter- she is still a child and she couldn't possibly be providing her own support with just $2200.

https://www.irs.gov/uac/who-can-i-claim-as-a-dependent

For your benefit, I just recommend that you go through the interview above.

You may want to have your daughter file her own tax return. However, she will indicate in the Personal Info section of her return that she is being claimed as a dependent on another return. If she had any federal or state taxes withheld, she will get them back. You'll need to create a new account/ username for her return. You can likely prepare her return in the Free version.

Thank you
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

You're welcome.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies