turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can my mom still claim me as a dependent even if i file my own taxes?

Hi, I am currently a 20 year old full time college student and filing taxes for the first time.  I was employed through workstudy and didn't provide more than half of my own support during the year and was wondering if filing my own taxes affects my seperated mom's ability to file me as a dependent? I'm also aware of "The American Opportunity Credit," but noted that I may not take the credit for myself if I was claimed as someone else's dependent; if my mom can claim me as a dependent, will she still be able to claim that credit if I file my own taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LaurenW2

Hello there carlosacosta711,

It is my goal to answer your tax quetions and make filing easier. To answer your first question your mother can still claim you as a dependent. When you file your own return you will just need to answer "Yes" to the question "Can anyone claim you as a dependent?"

As for the American Opportunity Credit I will be including more information about that. The full credit is available to individuals whose modified adjusted gross income is $80,000 or less, or $160,000 or less for married couples filing a joint return. If she meets that requirement then yes she can claim the credit.

For more information about the credit feel free to visit:http://www.irs.gov/uac/American-Opportunity-Tax-Credit:-Questions-and-Answers

I hope I was able to asnwer your question about your dependent status and the American Opportunity credit. Thank you for beign a Turbo Tax user.

Best wishes,

~Lauren

View solution in original post

22 Replies
LaurenW2

Hello there carlosacosta711,

It is my goal to answer your tax quetions and make filing easier. To answer your first question your mother can still claim you as a dependent. When you file your own return you will just need to answer "Yes" to the question "Can anyone claim you as a dependent?"

As for the American Opportunity Credit I will be including more information about that. The full credit is available to individuals whose modified adjusted gross income is $80,000 or less, or $160,000 or less for married couples filing a joint return. If she meets that requirement then yes she can claim the credit.

For more information about the credit feel free to visit:http://www.irs.gov/uac/American-Opportunity-Tax-Credit:-Questions-and-Answers

I hope I was able to asnwer your question about your dependent status and the American Opportunity credit. Thank you for beign a Turbo Tax user.

Best wishes,

~Lauren

BobB7

Be sure you say yes to both: can anyone claim you as a dependent and, if it comes up, is anyone claiming you as a dependent.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.  You were very helpful, thanks!
BobB7

Glad to help.  You're welcome!
LaurenW2

I was more than happy to assist you today.  Have a great weekend!

~Lauren

Be extremely careful!  I lost $4000 because my daughter asked the wrong question.  My daughter did her own taxes this year.  She's 17, has a little hostess job on weekends and got her first W2s for the 2013 tax year.  She did it on her phone, just scanned her W-2s, like she does to deposit her paycheck, and it was a quick job to finish it.  But easy as it is, it was wrong.  When she got to that question she asked me if her dad would claim her.  I said no, so she put no.  That cost us $4000.  I think maybe better to pay someone else to do it.  Or not have her do one at all because she makes little enough money. Or maybe Turbo Tax could have counselors available.  Or maybe there should be a huge yellow box that says "Be extremely careful" around that question.
BobB7

You and your daughter have the option of filing amended returns and getting the money back.

Bob, I think that makes sense.  I am going to the library to see if they have those forms.  Or maybe to the IRS website.  What a costly (in time as well) ordeal.  Thank you very much for the comment.
BobB7

All IRS forms can be found here: <a href="http://apps.irs.gov/app/picklist/list/formsPublications.html;jsessionid=cxfTnQyOKK-pwkQh-9N4bQ__?val..." rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://apps.irs.gov/app/picklist/list/formsPublications.html;jsessionid=cxfTnQyOKK-pwkQh-9N4bQ__?val...>
You will both need a 1040X.  That's probably all your daughter needs.  You may need some other forms, as well.

Bob, you should get a raise.  Thank you.
BobB7

You're welcome.  We "SuperUsers" are volunteers so..

what if your mom claims you and you dont put you are being claimed on your income taxes
BobB7

If you file first then she will be unable to efile and will have to mail it in and you will have to prepare an amended return and mail it in.  If she files first your efile will be rejected until you change you return to say someone else can claim you and then it will let you efile.

If i could be claimed as a someones dependent (my moms), but my mom is not going to claim me, what do I check?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies