turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bcroy8109

Can I file both w-2 and 1099 form at the same time? If so do I use the self-employed software? or can I use the free trail to file both?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I file both w-2 and 1099 form at the same time? If so do I use the self-employed software? or can I use the free trail to file both?

You must include all income from all sources on the same tax return. When you have 1099-MISC income from self employment and have expenses associated with that income, you must use the Self Employed version. If you have no expenses, you can use Deluxe or Premier. 

When using the CD/download product installed on your computer, you can use any version because they all have the same forms. The Home & Business version would provide more guidance for self employment income. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You must include all income from all sources on the same tax return. When you have 1099-MISC income from self employment and have expenses associated with that income, you must use the Self Employed version. If you have no expenses, you can use Deluxe or Premier. 

When using the CD/download product installed on your computer, you can use any version because they all have the same forms. The Home & Business version would provide more guidance for self employment income. 

bcroy8109

But no matter what program I use, the deluxe or premier with no expenses, I can file my w2s from other jobs as well as the 1099? Just seems like that is never straight forwardly answered.

Yes you can and must use the same tax return to file both the W-2s and the 1099-MISC income. The distinction I was making in my answer is which version you should use for the 1099-MISC. All of the versions will handle the W-2s.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies