turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Received the following message: REJ001 - This state return was rejected because the federal taxing authority has not yet accepted or has rejected the federal return.

How do I know what to do?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
KiaraE

Received the following message: REJ001 - This state return was rejected because the federal taxing authority has not yet accepted or has rejected the federal return.

You may want to ensure your federal return has been Accepted prior to submitting or resubmitting your state return.

You can check the federal efile status here
  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/">https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/ef...>

How do you get your federal return to be accepted? I got the 2nd rejection with same code.

You must efile the federal return with the state OR  after the fed has been accepted.  Did you efile the federal return yet ?  Was it accepted ?  

jaimeeellis1976
Returning Member

Tell me how to fix it

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

For error code REJ001 - This state return was rejected because the federal taxing authority has not yet accepted or has rejected the federal return you will need to make sure that you file your state return at the same time or after your Federal return.

This is an error on your state return. To solve the error you need to make sure that your Federal return is accepted. You will need to e-file your Federal and state returns together, or you can e-file the Federal return and then e-file the state return after the Federal has been accepted. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
HeidiR1
Returning Member

So what do I need to do to correct this so I can get my refund.

@ HeidiR1 wrote:

So what do I need to do to correct this so I can get my refund.

This thread concerns the following error message:
"REJ001 - This state return was rejected because the federal taxing authority has not yet accepted or has rejected the federal return."

It all depends on how you filed the Federal return.   If you efiled the Federal return, was it accepted or rejected?  If the Federal return's efile was rejected, then the state efile is also automatically rejected.   Or did you just recently efile the Federal return by itself, and the efile status of the Federal return is still pending?

If you're using Online TurboTax, log into your account and at the Tax Home, what is shown for the efile status of the Federal return?     If the Federal efile was rejected, what is the Federal efile rejection error code?

I was given a 1040-516 code. But I'm unsure of what to do, I was given the suggestion to file by mail instead and then I was given the code REJ001 after being rejected. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Pretty sure I put all my info in correctly, and if I didn't. Am I just stuck and unable to continue? Since I can't start over with a a new file since I had already filed.

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Here's what you need to do: How do I fix e-file reject F1040-516? - TurboTax Support - Intuit

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies