turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Last year I paid $15 in Maryland tax and this year it is 1400+ how can I figure out what is different and if I have all the right info in my return.

I have a w2 and husband has SSA & retirement account no changes from last year to this year. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Last year I paid $15 in Maryland tax and this year it is 1400+ how can I figure out what is different and if I have all the right info in my return.

This is a common occurrence for Maryland taxpayers this year.  Maryland law prohibits taxpayers from itemizing deductions on their Maryland tax returns if the taxpayer does not itemize on their federal tax return.  With the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 doubling the Standard Deduction and limiting the deduction for state and local taxes and property taxes, many fewer people will be itemizing on their federal return, so many fewer people will be eligible to itemize deductions on their Maryland tax return.  With the Maryland Standard Deduction being only $4,500, many people will have had higher itemized deductions in 2017.  An increase of $1,400 in Maryland taxes suggests that your 2017 Maryland deduction amount was about $22,000, but for 2018 you are only eligible for the Standard Deduction of $4,500.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

This is a common occurrence for Maryland taxpayers this year.  Maryland law prohibits taxpayers from itemizing deductions on their Maryland tax returns if the taxpayer does not itemize on their federal tax return.  With the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 doubling the Standard Deduction and limiting the deduction for state and local taxes and property taxes, many fewer people will be itemizing on their federal return, so many fewer people will be eligible to itemize deductions on their Maryland tax return.  With the Maryland Standard Deduction being only $4,500, many people will have had higher itemized deductions in 2017.  An increase of $1,400 in Maryland taxes suggests that your 2017 Maryland deduction amount was about $22,000, but for 2018 you are only eligible for the Standard Deduction of $4,500.

ee-ea
Level 15

You have to make a line by line comparison of this return and the prior one

Manage cookies