Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hqs15

I had a employer insurance as well as Medicare coverage during the same time, how do I file? it only allows me to choose 1 or the other not both

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

I had a employer insurance as well as Medicare coverage during the same time, how do I file? it only allows me to choose 1 or the other not both

You do not need to enter the details of your employer insurance or your Medicare.  All you need to do is to answer Yes to the 1st question, that you had health insurance for those months (or all year).  The 2nd question asks if you were covered by Obamacare, a Marketplace plan, or a plan that sends a 1095-A.  You should answer No to this question. 

The only forms that get entered into the Health Insurance section are 1095-As.  Neither Medicare nor your employer reports coverage on a 1095-A, so you only indicate that you were covered for those months that you had the coverage.  You may have received a 1095-B or 1095-C for the type of coverage you had.  These forms are kept with your tax records but they are not entered into TurboTax.  For non-Obamacare plans (like you had), you simply tell TurboTax that you were covered.  

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

You do not need to enter the details of your employer insurance or your Medicare.  All you need to do is to answer Yes to the 1st question, that you had health insurance for those months (or all year).  The 2nd question asks if you were covered by Obamacare, a Marketplace plan, or a plan that sends a 1095-A.  You should answer No to this question. 

The only forms that get entered into the Health Insurance section are 1095-As.  Neither Medicare nor your employer reports coverage on a 1095-A, so you only indicate that you were covered for those months that you had the coverage.  You may have received a 1095-B or 1095-C for the type of coverage you had.  These forms are kept with your tax records but they are not entered into TurboTax.  For non-Obamacare plans (like you had), you simply tell TurboTax that you were covered.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies