turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I recieved a deposit and it said TCS TREAS 449 for TAX REF for an amount much less than my expected return. Called offset number and it said i dont owe anything. Anyone?

I found out that the offset telephone number was not working correctly. So, although it said we did not have offset related to our socials, I called and spoke with someone in the treasury and they confirmed that my husband's student loan arrears offset our taxes.  It was very confusing because not only did the offset number verify that there was no offset related to our socials, I called and spoke with two separate individuals at the IRS and they also confirmed that there was no offset.  The treasury office said that people at the IRS would not know that it was offset.  Such a crazy system.  You can file an injured spouse claim to get your part of the offset if you are married and filed jointly.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I recieved a deposit and it said TCS TREAS 449 for TAX REF for an amount much less than my expected return. Called offset number and it said i dont owe anything. Anyone?

You did not receive a letter in the mail and also they do not send it direct deposit they send you a paper check I don't have any students loans or child support I owe I also called the offset hotline today and it still says the same thing
kdeezy21

Mine was 6,000 less than im supposed to get and i have custody of my kids and dont even pay child support, never got any student loans either...and i never got anything in the mail about any of this. So how can i fix this can anyone help please.
kdeezy21

Hhhh

you guys are being hacked. if you filed your taxes thru turbo tax please go close out your accounts. the same thing happened to me, i got a deposit of a lesser amount than my refund and then all my money was gone the next day. so please ppl, just a warning
zmello621

Nobody is being hacked. Everyone was offset. I called the treasury and found that I had an offset for student loans.
jprow2589

When I call offset number, I can get all info related to my student loan offset. When my boyfriend calls with his social it says no offsets found. Both our refunds were deposited on same card. But it was less than 72 hours between the time his refund was accepted and the remaining was deposited. Seems unlikely it would be accepted, sent to student loan agency and the balance sent back to bank that quickly.
smoney21

i am short $2500 nothing on my account transcript about an offset
embr94

Same thing to but but only got 7$ out of 4,000 called the offset gave my ssn I Dont Owe Anything
embr94

Turbo taxes it ripping everyone off free my ass

Any word yet on what's going on with this
khrisfish

Any updates on this yet??

I need to know how much total is owed and I have never used Turbo Tax.  

L21Harmon

What is this TCS Treas 449 all about is that from the IRS did they withhold my text refund and if so why

WKins2
Expert Alumni

When the IRS processes your refund and on the transcript you see TCS TREAS 449 for TAX REF that means the following: "If your client's refund is less than expected and you see a coinciding TCS TREAS 449 offset, this means that the tax payers refund has been reduced to repay a debt collected through the Treasury Offset Program. This program is designed to collect delinquent debts that are owed to states and federal agencies."

You, or your spouse have past due debts and your refund has been used either from the IRS and/or your state and applied to that debt. Call the IRS and/or your state and they will be able to assist you in why the refund was applied and how much was applied so you know if you are getting any of your refund back. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies