turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If my id is expired will it affect my return

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You can still use it while expired, for return purposes. That won't affect your return. It's an additional measure to protect your identity but not required, in all states. There are only a couple states that require you to enter it in order to file. 

Some states may request your driver’s license number for state tax returns because they have the ability to match state records and help confirm your identity. But if you do not enter it at all, that may slow the processing time of your return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4879130

View solution in original post

5 Replies

You can still use it while expired, for return purposes. That won't affect your return. It's an additional measure to protect your identity but not required, in all states. There are only a couple states that require you to enter it in order to file. 

Some states may request your driver’s license number for state tax returns because they have the ability to match state records and help confirm your identity. But if you do not enter it at all, that may slow the processing time of your return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4879130

Need someone to help me file my w2 tax return can I still file if my I'd is expired flo

MinaHope

If you live in Wisconsin…. And your ID is expired can you still file?

MinaHope

Also, can it be a Minnesota ID but I live in Wisconsin and full  time since last year.

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

In an effort to help protect your identity and fight tax fraud, the IRS and many state tax offices are now asking that tax filers provide their driver’s license or state-issued ID number.

Providing this info is not required to file your Federal taxes. However, in some states, omitting this info may delay the processing of your return.  

Please see this TurboTax help article for more information. Normally, it would not matter if your ID was expired for this purpose.

I did not find any reference to ID in the Instructions for Wisconsin Form 1, except that you would need to enter a special Wisconsin Identity Protection PIN, IF you were issued one.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies