turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I prevent anyone else from using my dependents social security number

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

You can request and identity protection pin from the IRS, so no one can ever use their information again.  Every year they will mail you a pin and it is important to have this pin when filing your return.  View this information below on how to get one:  https://www.irs.gov/site-index-search?search=IP+pin&field_pup_historical_1=1&field_pup_historical=1

@Tynearria  Your post is blank--why?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@Tonyalilmomma  Your post is blank.  Do you have a question?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@Tonyalilmomma  

You might be typing your added comment/question in the wrong place......only enter your Q text in the lower message box...not in the subject line.   

(The Subject line should only be used if you have started an entirely new and separate question, and not when replying to an existing question and it's followup threads)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

I would like to have a pin number for my 2 dependents so their ssn wont be use in the future and to STOP anyone recieving benefits off they numbers 

@Mschristalbasey 

For a dependent that is entered as such on your tax return, there is no way to stop someone else (parent, Ex-spouse or girl/boyfriend...or anyone) form claimign them improperly if they have the proper SSN/birthday for that dependent. 

IF you are blocked from e-filing, because someone else used them as a dependent first, then you msut switch to mail-filing and take your paper work to the Post Office amend  mail it all in....and let the IRS sort it out.

Occasionally, a (working) dependent in College, who you can rightly claim as your dependent......occasionally, they will accidentally indicate that no one can claim them as a dependent.  IF they do that wrong, then that will block your claiming them too....So....if you have a college dependent, you need to talk to them ahead of time about the importance of them indicating that someone else will claim them as a dependent on their own tax forms.....or better yet, sit down with them and help them prepare their own taxes together with you.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
hifibrain94730
Returning Member

When you list dependents, TurboTax asks in the personal information section for your dependent's information including his/her SSN. If someone else uses your dependent's SSN in the future, you may receive a letter from the IRS. I am not 100% sure about this, but the IRS does send a letter to both parties if two people claim someone as a dependent in the same year. You could call the IRS help line and ask for more details. 

@hifibrain94730     @Mschristalbasey 

I double-checked, and there is an IP-PIN one can get for a dependent if someone is actually filing a return pretending they are the dependent......but I think it is primarily for actual ID Theft, where someone uses the person's ID to file a completely false tax return and get refund money (Felony).   I don't think it is intended for some family member..or former family member improperly claiming a dependent on their tax return.  There is a spot in the tax return where an IP-PIN can be entered for any person listed the tax return you prepare.

Procedure:

https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/get-an-identity-protection-pin

The form for getting an IP-PIN  (Form 14039)

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f14039.pdf

hifibrain94730
Returning Member

I think that getting a pin # for your dependent is a good idea. Just be absolutely sure not to lose it, as it will be required to e-file future returns!! So many people are posting that their e-filed TurboTax return is rejected, and I suspect a lost pin # is a reason. Keeping the previous year tax file on your hard drive and importing it into the current year makes it much easier, because that imports the pin # and the previous year Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) and other information into the current TurtoTax return and it goes much more smoothly.

Note though...that the IP-PIN (6digits) is a special PIN that is supposedly reissued very year, so the one used this year (if you can get one) would not be used next year...the IRS would then re-issue a new IP-PIN next Jan/Feb.  The IP-PIN goes in a special spot in the tax software  on the "Other tax situations" page in the Federal section

The normal filing PIN (5 digits) is used just by the parent(s) during the final filing steps.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies