turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pluegy

My 1099-b form doesn't say what sale category i have, long or short term, covered or noncovered,

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My 1099-b form doesn't say what sale category i have, long or short term, covered or noncovered,

You can calculate these details for yourself, although they should be on your 1099-B.  The 1099-B uses terminology like "Long-Term sales reported to the IRS with Box B checked."

Long-Term means you held it more than a year.  Short-Term means you held it one year or less.  (You can calculate both these from the dates purchased and sold.)

Covered sales are Category/Box A (meaning what you paid for it is reported to the IRS), and Non-covered are Category/Box B (meaning what you paid is not reported to the IRS).  If it doesn't show what you paid, you will need to look it up in your records.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

You can calculate these details for yourself, although they should be on your 1099-B.  The 1099-B uses terminology like "Long-Term sales reported to the IRS with Box B checked."

Long-Term means you held it more than a year.  Short-Term means you held it one year or less.  (You can calculate both these from the dates purchased and sold.)

Covered sales are Category/Box A (meaning what you paid for it is reported to the IRS), and Non-covered are Category/Box B (meaning what you paid is not reported to the IRS).  If it doesn't show what you paid, you will need to look it up in your records.

takumi

I need assistance interpreting 1099-B and Forms 8949.  I cashed out a non-retirement mutual fund in February 2017 that I’ve held for 23 years (and have used TurboTax for over 20 year to report my 1099-DIVs. Do I need to perform a forensic accounting for the 23 years using Forms 8949?  Or am I just looking at January – February 2017 and use January 1, 2017 as the ‘Date acquired’ and $0.00 for the basis

The 2017 Year-End statement states $0.00 dividends and $0.00 Long Term capital gains.  

The 2017 1099-B shows:

Covered Shares:  both Short Term and Long Term; includes basis for each

Noncovered Shares:  basis is blank but reported to IRS; short-term or long-term is “unknown to the fund. You must determine Short Term and Long Term based on your records.”

TurboTax is asking for the ‘Date acquired’ for the covered Short Term and Long Term shares and for the Noncovered shares; and the basis for the Noncovered shares.

Confused and frustrated!  Please help!

is box 2 the same as box b?

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Please provide more information.  Your question is, "if Box 2 the same a Box B"?  What information are you inquiring about.  If it is on Form 1099B Please  describe the requested information so that we can specifically respond to your question.

Below are instructions for 1B and 2 on form 1099B.  If this is not your question, please come back to this forum with more details.

Box 1b. This box may be blank if box 5 is checked or if the securities sold were acquired on a variety of dates. For short sales, the date shown is the date you acquired the security delivered to close the short sale.

Box 2. The short-term and long-term boxes pertain to short-term gain or loss and long-term gain or loss. If the “Ordinary” box is checked, your security may be subject to special rules. For example, gain on a contingent payment debt instrument subject to the noncontingent bond method is generally treated as ordinary interest income rather than as capital gain. See the Instructions for Form 8949, Pub. 550, or Pub. 1212 for more details on whether there are any special rules or adjustments that might apply to your security. If box 5 is checked, box 2 may be blank.

@pacificnapu

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies