Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

trosario1

You asked I am trying to open TurboTax. And update box keeps popping up and then it says update error. This is happened five times. How can I open TurboTax?

You asked
I am trying to open TurboTax. An update box keeps popping up and then it says update error. This has  happened five times. It will not allow me to complete my tax return. This is driving me crazy! How can I open TurboTax?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
CassLO
Intuit Alumni

You asked I am trying to open TurboTax. And update box keeps popping up and then it says update error. This is happened five times. How can I open TurboTax?

If you are using TurboTax Home and Business, please try using the following workaround:

• Right Click on your TurboTax Desktop Icon and then select "Properties"
  • On the "Properties" screen, click on the "Compatibility" tab at the top of the screen.
  • In the "Settings" section, click to mark the box for "Run this program as an Administrator"
  • Click "Apply" then "OK"
  • Restart into Selective Startup:
  • On your desktop press and hold the Windows Key and then press the R key to launch the Run Command
  • Type "msconfig" and press Enter
  • In the General Tab of the System Configuration window
  • Click "Selective Startup"
  • Click the Services Tab in the System Configuration window
  • Click the box "Hide all Microsoft Services"
  • Click Disable all
  • Click OK
  • Reboot your machine
  • Once the machine has re-booted
  • Attempt to install TurboTax Updates
  • Press and hold the Windows Key while pressing the R key
  • Type "msconfig" and press Enter
  • In the General Tab of the System Configuration window
  • Select Normal Startup
  • Click OK
  • Re-boot your computer to exit selective startup.

"kimistewy"

If this is not the version you are having update issues with, please reply back so we can further assist you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JohnJ1
Returning Member

I'm on Mac OS using Premier version. I continually get error downloading the update. It worked fine until I tried to work on it on Sunday, 12 April. Have reinstalled it many times. Problem remains. Can't even open the application to proceed.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Do you have a question?  @John527

If you're on a PC, open TurboTax and select Check for Updates from the Online menu near the top.  On a Mac, simply quit and reopen TurboTax. If there are any updates, you'll be prompted to download them. 

Tips:

• It's best to use a wired, high-speed connection when updating, both to save time and minimize data corruption.
  • If your connection drops in the middle of the update, try again; it should pick up where it left off.
  • If you're having trouble updating on your PC, try a manual update.

Related Information:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies