turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Laof

Uber sent me a 1099K form but not a 1099MISC form, but in my tax summary there is breakdown for both 1099K and 1099MISC. Is it possible I only need to report the 1099-K?

I don't understand why they gave me a summary for two forms but gave me a link for only one. In both cases, it's only for a few hundred dollars, but I don't want to miss anything.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RyanH2

Uber sent me a 1099K form but not a 1099MISC form, but in my tax summary there is breakdown for both 1099K and 1099MISC. Is it possible I only need to report the 1099-K?

You are going to file the 1099-K, and keep the 1099-MISC for your records.

You will need to fill out Schedule C to report your 1099-K as business income. If you made under $400, you don't have to pay self-employment tax, but you still have to report it on Schedule C as that is where the IRS will be looking for the income. If you choose to file it as miscellaneous income you may receive a letter from the IRS.

If you are an Uber driver and received a 1099-K, then you would enter your pay as freelance business income.
You will need TurboTax Home & Business to enter Schedule C(IRS form for freelance business) to complete your return.

To Enter Your 1099-K Into TurboTax Home & Business:

1. Select "Business" at the top of the screen

2. Choose "Continue", then "I'll choose what I work on"

3. Select "Start" next to "Business Income and Expenses"

4. Select "Edit" next to your business name

5. Select "Visit All" next to Business Expenses

6. Select "Start" next to "General Income"

7. Proceed to answer the questions and enter the appropriate items

Example 2: Richard is an Uber driver and gets a 1099-K that shows $15,000 in total fares. After Uber's commissions and fees, the amount he actually received was $10,000. He enters $15,000 as income and $5,000 as commissions under the Business Income and Expenses topic. If he also gets a 1099-MISC, he would enter it as additional income.

Business Code-Taxi & limousine service (485300)

View solution in original post

8 Replies
mzfaiva

Just need a little more clarification. So, If I have $300 on uber summary but did not recieve a 1099 misc, do i just fill out the $300 under the general business income and as well as the 1099k amount that i did receive from uber? Also, since i will not be entering the 1099 misc under 1099 misc section, will turbo tax still automatically fill out a schedule c for me? do i still need a schedule c?

Do you use gross amount of payment on 1099K or the amount Uber give you after they took their percentage
RyanH2

You are going to file the 1099-K, and keep the 1099-MISC for your records.

You will need to fill out Schedule C to report your 1099-K as business income. If you made under $400, you don't have to pay self-employment tax, but you still have to report it on Schedule C as that is where the IRS will be looking for the income. If you choose to file it as miscellaneous income you may receive a letter from the IRS.

If you are an Uber driver and received a 1099-K, then you would enter your pay as freelance business income.
You will need TurboTax Home & Business to enter Schedule C(IRS form for freelance business) to complete your return.

To Enter Your 1099-K Into TurboTax Home & Business:

1. Select "Business" at the top of the screen

2. Choose "Continue", then "I'll choose what I work on"

3. Select "Start" next to "Business Income and Expenses"

4. Select "Edit" next to your business name

5. Select "Visit All" next to Business Expenses

6. Select "Start" next to "General Income"

7. Proceed to answer the questions and enter the appropriate items

Example 2: Richard is an Uber driver and gets a 1099-K that shows $15,000 in total fares. After Uber's commissions and fees, the amount he actually received was $10,000. He enters $15,000 as income and $5,000 as commissions under the Business Income and Expenses topic. If he also gets a 1099-MISC, he would enter it as additional income.

Business Code-Taxi & limousine service (485300)

wrxmikey

For an Uber driver with under $500 in earnings, it's pretty unfair for TurboTax to charge $79.99 for the only version of the tax prep software that will handle a 1099-K
mzfaiva

Just need a little more clarification. So, If I have $300 on uber summary but did not recieve a 1099 misc, do i just fill out the $300 under the general business income and as well as the 1099k amount that i did receive from uber? Also, since i will not be entering the 1099 misc under 1099 misc section, will turbo tax still automatically fill out a schedule c for me? do i still need a schedule c?
RyanH2

Yes, you will want to enter the income amount on your 1099-k under general business income. By doing this, you are filling out Schedule C. The general business income is Schedule C.
John19

what is the basis of counting medical expenses..?? I didnot put any figure as medical expenses even there is shown some amounts in summary of medical expenses, what is that...
Guardiana

I am a bit confused - first you said file the 1099-K, and keep the 1099-MISC for the records, but in example 2 said to file 1099-MISC as additional income. My 1099-K included everything I got from them with taxes and fees. I think 1099-MISC is separated to show the income already included in the 1099-K from Uber eats. Do I still need to enter it separately? If not, how do I make sure IRS does not come after me?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies