turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cljones

I have a 1099 Misc, I want to know if I have to file this and if so can I file it next year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have a 1099 Misc, I want to know if I have to file this and if so can I file it next year?

Yes, you must include the 1099-MISC with your current return. No, you must include it this year and not use it next year, because all income for a given year must be reported in that year.

If you have already filed your 2016 return, then you will need to amend your 2016 return and add the 1099-MISC. Please wait about 3 weeks after you filed your original return before amending your return, to give the IRS time to finish processing your original return before they get your amendment return.

The 1099-MISC is a report on money that someone paid you, often for contract work (i.e., earned income but not as an employee).

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes, you must include the 1099-MISC with your current return. No, you must include it this year and not use it next year, because all income for a given year must be reported in that year.

If you have already filed your 2016 return, then you will need to amend your 2016 return and add the 1099-MISC. Please wait about 3 weeks after you filed your original return before amending your return, to give the IRS time to finish processing your original return before they get your amendment return.

The 1099-MISC is a report on money that someone paid you, often for contract work (i.e., earned income but not as an employee).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies