Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

DMV_Dan

Setting Up Payment Plan For State Taxes Owed

I owe a lot of money on my Federal and State returns (for the states of Virginia and Maryland). I don't have anything to put down right now, but can start on on a payment plan immediately if need be. 

I am aware that when you get to the "File" screen on Turbotax that you can setup a payment plan for your FEDERAL taxes at that point. 

Does TurboTax also assist you with setting up any type of payment plan for State returns? 

I called the State of Maryland, and they said to file a state return if I can, and if I didn't pay anything, that the State of Maryland would send me essentially a bill afterwards. Hopefully a bill that I can make monthly payments on.

I have not checked with the State of Virginia yet.

So does TurboTax assist with setting up payment plans on state returns? If not, does it allow me to file a state return without making a payment for the amount owed? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
JulieR
Expert Alumni

Setting Up Payment Plan For State Taxes Owed

Yes, you may file a state return with a balance due. To set up a payment plan, you will need to contact your state directly to find out which installment plans they offer. TurboTax does not have a method for setting up state payment plans.  Please see the below for a list of links to state departments of revenue: https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302452

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies