turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I file the W-3 forms in turbo tax

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KennethB

Yes, you can use TurboTax to complete your W-3 forms!  In order to file your forms W-3, you would want to use Intuit TurboTax Quick Employer Forms. You can access Intuit TurboTax Quick Employer Forms at the following web address (copy and paste into your browser):  https://quickemployerforms.intuit.com

Intuit TurboTax Quick Employer Forms is for small business owners who have employees or use independent contractors to help them get their work done. If you operated a business (including a Schedule C/Sole Proprietorship, an LLC, Corporation, S-Corp, or Partnership) and you had employees or independent contractors, you need to send a W-2 to employees and 1099 to independent contractors before the end of January. Quick Employer Forms makes it a lot easier to create and file these forms with the IRS. There's no need to buy forms or worry about special printing requirements, including colored ink.

Per TurboTax FAQ:

Do I have to e-file Forms 1096 or W-3?

Form 1096 and W-3 are not required for e-file. Quick Employer Forms only supports e-file with the SSA and IRS. Please do not send any of these forms to the IRS, as this will generate duplicate filings. These forms are simply for your records.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
KennethB

Yes, you can use TurboTax to complete your W-3 forms!  In order to file your forms W-3, you would want to use Intuit TurboTax Quick Employer Forms. You can access Intuit TurboTax Quick Employer Forms at the following web address (copy and paste into your browser):  https://quickemployerforms.intuit.com

Intuit TurboTax Quick Employer Forms is for small business owners who have employees or use independent contractors to help them get their work done. If you operated a business (including a Schedule C/Sole Proprietorship, an LLC, Corporation, S-Corp, or Partnership) and you had employees or independent contractors, you need to send a W-2 to employees and 1099 to independent contractors before the end of January. Quick Employer Forms makes it a lot easier to create and file these forms with the IRS. There's no need to buy forms or worry about special printing requirements, including colored ink.

Per TurboTax FAQ:

Do I have to e-file Forms 1096 or W-3?

Form 1096 and W-3 are not required for e-file. Quick Employer Forms only supports e-file with the SSA and IRS. Please do not send any of these forms to the IRS, as this will generate duplicate filings. These forms are simply for your records.

miga

The question was whether I could E-FILE W3 with Turbo Tax, not if I could create with Turbo Tax.

I disagree - IRS will not accept a copy of a W-3.  they want the red original.  please clarify your stance.

@FJN7558 wrote:

I disagree - IRS will not accept a copy of a W-3.  they want the red original.  please clarify your stance.

@FJN7558 - Please post your IRS source for that requirement.   I cannot find the word "red" anywhere in the W-3 instructions or filing instructions on the IRS website.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

For the past couple of years, I have filed the W-3 and 1096 with the form found in Turbo Tax; it was not red and the form was not returned.  If I'm not mistaken, then will not accept a xerox copy, it must be the original form. 

you are correct about the original red IRS forms.  I am from PA and they will not accept photo copies.

So my bigger question is: Does Turbo Tax file the W-3 when they submit the W-2 via E-File??

If not that does present an issue not having the original (RED) form as required or the Copy A which is also required for a mail in form.

Thanks for some professional and factual feed back.

No, Intuit Employer Quick Forms does not transmit a W-3 when it files the W-2 forms.  When the W-2 forms are transmitted the social security administration and the IRS do not require the respective W-3 forms.

However, the W-3 forms are created and can be accessed from the Intuit Quick Employer Forms homepage if you need them for state requirements or for an accountant.  

Here is an article about Quick Employer Forms.
@10013

I forgot to take a picture of my w-2 form. My numbers are wrong 

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

It depends. If you have the exact amounts that were on your W-2, and the W-3 you are referring to has only one W-2 reconciled, which includes only your wages, you can use those numbers to complete your W-2 in TurboTax.  If not, then you will have to get a copy of your W-2 from your employer, or recreate one, if you completed the forms, for verification and your files.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Excellent clarification.  I suggest that this be added to the FAQ instructions for Quick Employer Forms, or QEF.

Excellent clarification.  I suggest that this be added to the FAQ instructions for Quick Employer Forms, or QEF.

Sorry but my earlier comments were not properly aligned with the questions and comments:  

Regarding 1096s and W-3s:  the FAQ instructions for Quick Employer Forms should state that the 1096 and W-3 forms are not transmitted with 1099's and W-2's, and they are not required if the W-2s and 1099 are sent by efile.  

JoannaB2
Expert Alumni

No, you can't file W3 in Turbo Tax.  The form W3 is a transmittal of wage and tax statement, and anyone required to file Form W2 must file W3 to transmit copy A of form W2 to the Social Security Administration.  You must send the entire page of form W3 along with the Copy A of W2. You don't need to send form W3, if form W2 was fled electronically with the Social Security Adminitration.

See, form W3, link for additional information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies