turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

eleary22

Can I still e-file once I have selected file by mail, if so how to I get back to e-file option?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Lakeisha

Can I still e-file once I have selected file by mail, if so how to I get back to e-file option?

Yes, you can still E-File. Please see directions below on how to do so:

As long as you have not already mailed in your return you can go back into TurboTax and choose to efile your return.

You changed your mind, and want to e-file your tax return(s) instead of printing and mailing. As long as you haven't already mailed your 2016 paper return, you can switch to the e-filing method (through October 17, 2017). Some states now require e-filing their returns, and federal and state returns must be e-filed together.

On the other hand, if you already mailed your return, don't e-file. This can cause problems with the government, including refund delays.

If you wish to change how you'll file your taxes in TurboTax, follow the steps below for either the TurboTax Online or TurboTax CD/Download version.

There are options before filing to save a PDF file you can use later to view and print the tax return (Adobe Reader or equivalent is required for viewing and printing).

Change to e-file your return in TurboTax Online versions

Remember, before saving or printing your return, any charges or fees must be paid for.

In TurboTax Online versions, these steps will change how you'll file your tax return(s).

1. In TurboTax Online, sign into your account.
  2. From the Welcome home box on the left, Click on Visit My Tax Timeline below the Download/print return button.
  3. Under SOME THINGS YOU CAN DO click on Add a state. (You are not adding a state to your return.  By choosing this option it will allow us to open up your return.)
  4. Click on the File tab across the top below the Search option.
  5. On the Just one more step screen, follow steps 1 and 2 if you haven't already.
  6. Click the Start button to the right of Step 3.
  7. This will navigate you to the Here are your filing choices screen, click I'd like to change filing methods.
  8. Change your filing method to E-file and click Save.
  9. Click Continue and follow the onscreen prompts to efile your return.
Change to e-file your return in TurboTax CD/Download versions

Have a great evening!
Lenman

The response does not work. 

Lenman

This says you can do it thru 2017.  So are you saying I CANNOT go back and efile for 2019 after printing but not mailing my returns?  So frustrating!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies