Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can i claim my daughter as a dependant this year if i was pregnant with her for the majority of the year

My refund was denied bc someone already claimed her and they shouldn't have been able to do that if bc she was born b4 the end of the year and I was pregnant with her the majority of the rest of the year I should be the only one who qualifys to claim her this yeat

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

Can i claim my daughter as a dependant this year if i was pregnant with her for the majority of the year

Yes, you can still claim your daughter if she was born in 2017, even if it was the very last day,  if you were the custodial parent and she lived with you (make sure that you indicate that she lived with you the whole year), and you can't be claimed as somebody else's dependent. 

But if some else filed their tax return before you did, and claimed an exemption for your dependent, you can still file your tax return and claim that dependent, but you can't e-file. You'd have to print out your return and mail it, and attach a statement that you are the person who is entitled to claim that person. 

The IRS will examine both returns and determine which one of you can claim the dependent. As you can imagine, this unfortunately will delay the processing of your return.

If you keep trying to e-file, IRS, will keep rejecting your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can still claim your daughter if she was born in 2017, even if it was the very last day,  if you were the custodial parent and she lived with you (make sure that you indicate that she lived with you the whole year), and you can't be claimed as somebody else's dependent. 

But if some else filed their tax return before you did, and claimed an exemption for your dependent, you can still file your tax return and claim that dependent, but you can't e-file. You'd have to print out your return and mail it, and attach a statement that you are the person who is entitled to claim that person. 

The IRS will examine both returns and determine which one of you can claim the dependent. As you can imagine, this unfortunately will delay the processing of your return.

If you keep trying to e-file, IRS, will keep rejecting your return.

Thank you that is what I though bit I just wanted to make sure I was right about it b4 I took any further action but hey thanks so much
IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

You're welcome!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies