turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim my 19yr child that works part time and goes to to school full time if she will be filing her own taxes

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM

Can I claim my 19yr child that works part time and goes to to school full time if she will be filing her own taxes

Yes, you can still claim her as a dependent on your tax return.  However, if you're going to claim her, she should not claim herself when she files her own return.  This is something the two of you will need to discuss to make sure she is not claimed on both returns.

If she's filing her return with TurboTax, one of the early questions she'll encounter while entering her personal information will be, "Can someone else claim you as a dependent?"  If she selects "yes," then TurboTax will ask her a follow-up question, "Will someone else claim you in 2016?"  She should select "yes" to this question as well.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ThomasM

Yes, you can still claim her as a dependent on your tax return.  However, if you're going to claim her, she should not claim herself when she files her own return.  This is something the two of you will need to discuss to make sure she is not claimed on both returns.

If she's filing her return with TurboTax, one of the early questions she'll encounter while entering her personal information will be, "Can someone else claim you as a dependent?"  If she selects "yes," then TurboTax will ask her a follow-up question, "Will someone else claim you in 2016?"  She should select "yes" to this question as well.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies