Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I e-file when I have a W-2c?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ddaven12

Yes you can, if you have not completed your tax return you can enter the W-2c like you would a regular W-2. To enter the W-2 in TurboTax Online:

1. Sign into your online account
  2. Click the orange button that says "Take me to my return"
  3. Go to Federal Taxes then Wages & Income
  4. Scroll down to Wages and Salaries and select Start/Revisit
  5. Enter the W-2c
  6. When you reach the screen that asks "Do any of these uncommon situations apply, check the box for corrected W-2
  7. Be sure to delete the first W-2 if it was entered.

If you have already filed your tax return you would first need to wait and see if the return is accepted or rejected. If rejected, you can go back and add the Form. If accepted, you would need to wait until after you have received your tax return and then Amend using Amendment Form 1040X. Here's more on Amending :How to Amend my 2016 tax return

View solution in original post

9 Replies
ddaven12

Yes you can, if you have not completed your tax return you can enter the W-2c like you would a regular W-2. To enter the W-2 in TurboTax Online:

1. Sign into your online account
  2. Click the orange button that says "Take me to my return"
  3. Go to Federal Taxes then Wages & Income
  4. Scroll down to Wages and Salaries and select Start/Revisit
  5. Enter the W-2c
  6. When you reach the screen that asks "Do any of these uncommon situations apply, check the box for corrected W-2
  7. Be sure to delete the first W-2 if it was entered.

If you have already filed your tax return you would first need to wait and see if the return is accepted or rejected. If rejected, you can go back and add the Form. If accepted, you would need to wait until after you have received your tax return and then Amend using Amendment Form 1040X. Here's more on Amending :How to Amend my 2016 tax return

Hi

My company issued a W2 and a W2c (with only corrected field data) even before I filed my taxes. Should I first enter W2 and then add W2c data (only one field corrected?)

Thanks

Same problem.  Did you get an answer?  I have two W-2s. One regular W2 and one W-2c.

I changed the original numbers on my W2 to show the corrected numbers on the W2c.  I tried to put the information on the W2c in the income file.  This caused all kinds of incorrect information to appear on my tax return.  Confused about the correct way to change the original information on the original W2.   Can you just do the correction without adding the W2c to your income tax return?

All you need to do is make sure only one W-2 is showing and that the information is the same as shown on your W2c. You can delete your original W-2 and enter the W-2c or just correct the lines that changed on your W-2c.

You can't delete the original W2 because all the information is on this form.  The W2c only has the correction and lacks all the other information.  

Thanks.  I corrected the original W2 to reflect the changes that appeared on the W2c.   Hopefully, this will not cause a problem with the IRS.

@questionsontaxes11  - so you entered W2 data and entered only the fields that are changed from W2c (say field 1) and marked "my company issued a corrected w2" ?  Is that correct?  In the end, there is only one w2 in the income section with data from w2 and w2c.

Yes, that is what I have done.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies