turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kah116

Do I get to claim my oldest son. He is 18, in high school. works part time, court order for me to claim him every year. and I pain child support all of 2018.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

Do I get to claim my oldest son. He is 18, in high school. works part time, court order for me to claim him every year. and I pain child support all of 2018.

Yes you can claim your son as a dependent as long as he did not provide more than half of his own support for the year, live with you, and meets the rest of the requirements for a qualifying child--relationship, age, residency, support, and joint return.

1.  Relationship - He's your son -- no problem there.

2.  Age - A child must be:

• Under age 19 at the end of the year; 
  • A student under age 24 at the end of the year.   [According to IRS Pub. 501:   "To qualify as a student, your child must be, during some part of each of any 5 calendar months of the year… The 5 calendar months don't have to be consecutive."];
  • Permanently and totally disabled at any time during the year, regardless of age.

3.  Residency - Your child must have lived with you for more than half the year. [Being away at college is still considered living with you (for tax purposes).]

4.  Support - The child can't have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year.

5.  Joint return - To meet this test, the child can't file a joint return for the year.

If he does not meet the requirements of a Qualifying Child, you may claim him as a Qualifying Relative instead.  The requirements are listed page 17 of  IRS Pub. 501

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

Yes you can claim your son as a dependent as long as he did not provide more than half of his own support for the year, live with you, and meets the rest of the requirements for a qualifying child--relationship, age, residency, support, and joint return.

1.  Relationship - He's your son -- no problem there.

2.  Age - A child must be:

• Under age 19 at the end of the year; 
  • A student under age 24 at the end of the year.   [According to IRS Pub. 501:   "To qualify as a student, your child must be, during some part of each of any 5 calendar months of the year… The 5 calendar months don't have to be consecutive."];
  • Permanently and totally disabled at any time during the year, regardless of age.

3.  Residency - Your child must have lived with you for more than half the year. [Being away at college is still considered living with you (for tax purposes).]

4.  Support - The child can't have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year.

5.  Joint return - To meet this test, the child can't file a joint return for the year.

If he does not meet the requirements of a Qualifying Child, you may claim him as a Qualifying Relative instead.  The requirements are listed page 17 of  IRS Pub. 501

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies