turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aiana222

I filed my taxes with turbotax but I am a non resident alien

Last year a friend helped me to do my taxes with turbotax. Now I found out that I can't use it because I am a non resident alien (i worked in the USA with work and travel program). I received my taxes but I am worried because I think I provided wrong information regarding my residence status for tax filling and I don't want to have problems in the future.

What can happen and what should I do to fix it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

You will need to file an amended return (1040X) and send it with the correct NR return.  (Unfortunately Turbo Tax does not do the NR tax but see below, there is a partner that can do it)  The form and instructions can be found at the IRS website (https://www.irs.gov/uac/about-form-1040x).  The 1040X instructions say:

Resident and nonresident aliens.   Use Form 1040X to amend Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ. Also, use Form 1040X if you should have filed Form 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ instead of Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ, or vice versa.

To amend Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ, or to file the correct return, do the following:

• Enter your name, current address, and social security number (SSN) or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) on the front of Form 1040X.

• Don’t enter any other information on page 1. Also, don’t complete Parts I or II on page 2 of Form 1040X.

• Enter in Part III the reason why you are filing Form 1040X.

• Complete a new or corrected return (Form 1040, Form 1040NR, etc.).

• Across the top of the new or corrected return, write “Amended.”

• Attach the new or corrected return to the back of Form 1040X.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4028799

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
aiana222

Thank you! Are there any consequences if I don't file the amended form?

Yes, the 1040 and the 1040NR are very similar but there are a few differences that affect the deductions, credits etc. so you may be short on tax (very bad because the IRS will charge interest and penalties, or you may be due more refund (Either way accurate is always better when dealing with the IRS as they can be in-forgiving).  Also, there are other difficulties that will come up as well- possibly with USCIS when you have to renew.  The way I see it: you made an honest mistake with no bad intentions and  you did file and pay taxes which is your responsibility, the best thing to do is correct the errors now rather than later.
rishi2101

I'm also in the same situation. Please tell me which address should I send both the documents

Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service
Austin, TX 73301-0215

what did you put in line 23 (amount you want refunded) if you had already received your refund back? thanks

Hi! I', in the same issue in here. I worked for three months in the US and I filled the wrong form for US residents instead of the 1040NR . The problem is my return has been accepted. Should I amend my return? And this paperwork has to be done by mail or can it be done online? 

Same issue here, I already filed wrong and even got the Covid relief. What do I do? Help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies