turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My Illinois state taxes was rejected twice for e-file. Will it work if I mail them?

I have tried to e-file twice for my state taxes, now I assume the reason it is being fussy if because my drivers licence is not Illinois but Wisconsin. I just want to know if I mail them will it work or is that a waste of my time. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
HelenaC

My Illinois state taxes was rejected twice for e-file. Will it work if I mail them?

Do you mean by "will it work" if IL accepts paper returns?

Yes like I don't want to mess with trying to mail for them just to reject it again.
HelenaC

Hi. I updated my answer. Thanks!
HelenaC

Thank you, Stephanie!
HelenaC

Yes, IL accepts paper returns that are mailed in.  IL does not "reject" mailed in returns. That's only for E-filed returns. Also, with a mailed in paper return, you don't have to give Driver's License information so you're good to go. 

jd95
Level 2

Does IL require a copy of the Federal 1040 when mailing the state forms to them?

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

The state filing instructions when you print to mail should give you guidance. If not, I recommend sending in at least the form federal form 1040 and any W2s/1099s to validate state income and withholding.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jd95
Level 2

The fed 1040 did not print as part of the official return documents at the end of filing by mail with TT, and the instruction sheet does not specifically ask for it either - only W-2, W-2G, and 1099-R forms. I cannot find the IL-1040 instructions asking for it either. I also file for WI, and they specifically ask for the fed 1040.

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

The Instructions for the Illinois individual tax return makes no mention of requiring a copy of the Federal 1040 be attached when filing by mail.  Moreover, TurboTax prints all required forms when printing a return to file by mail.  Therefore, I would say you don't have to attach a copy of your Form 1040 to your Illinois return - but it wouldn't do any harm to do so.

jd95
Level 2

I also see the mailing address for including a payment with IL-1040 shown on the 'file by mail' instruction sheet does not match the one on IL-1040-V, which is the payment voucher form TT printed with rest of the documents to be filed. Can you please verify the one to use? 

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, even on the IL website the addresses are different. According to the IL DOR site, send the return and voucher with payment to the address for the return: 

With Payment

PO BOX 19027
SPRINGFIELD IL 62794-9027

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies