turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cell phone family plan

my family plan is 300 dollars  a month,but i use mine for work I'm a contractor can i file a deductible on it ?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenaC

Cell phone family plan

Yes, if you are self-employed and you use your cell phone for business, you can claim the business use of your phone as a tax deduction. 

• If 30 percent of your time on the phone is spent on business, you could legitimately deduct 30 percent of your phone bill.
  • In “Entrepreneur” magazine, writer Kristin Edelhauser recommends getting an itemized phone bill, so you can measure your business and personal use and prove your deduction to the IRS.
  •  Alternatively, you could get a second phone number and use it exclusively for business.

Employee Use:    You can also deduct the business use of a cell phone if you are an employee rather than a business owner.You will only qualify, however, if your employer requires you to maintain a cell phone for business use. Calls you make after normal business hours do not count toward this deduction.

Related information:

View solution in original post

3 Replies
HelenaC

Cell phone family plan

Yes, if you are self-employed and you use your cell phone for business, you can claim the business use of your phone as a tax deduction. 

• If 30 percent of your time on the phone is spent on business, you could legitimately deduct 30 percent of your phone bill.
  • In “Entrepreneur” magazine, writer Kristin Edelhauser recommends getting an itemized phone bill, so you can measure your business and personal use and prove your deduction to the IRS.
  •  Alternatively, you could get a second phone number and use it exclusively for business.

Employee Use:    You can also deduct the business use of a cell phone if you are an employee rather than a business owner.You will only qualify, however, if your employer requires you to maintain a cell phone for business use. Calls you make after normal business hours do not count toward this deduction.

Related information:

Carl
Level 15

Cell phone family plan

Your share would be a communications expense, and there's a category for that in TurboTax. In the Business Expesnes >> Other Common Business Expenses section there's one specifically called "Communications". That's where you enter the business portion of your cell phone costs for the tax year.

Cell phone family plan

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies