turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MY HUSBAND WORKS OUT OF TOWN 5 DAYS A WEEK ALL YEAR. MY FORMER TAXPREPARED SAID HE COULD COUNT 56.00 PER DAY FOR A DEDUCTION IS THIS CORRECT

MY HUSBAND'S JOB REQUIRES HIM TO WORK OUT OF TOWN FIVE DAYS A WEEK.  HIS EMPLOYER PAYS FOR THE MOTEL STAY BUT NOT FOOD.  IS THERE A STANDARD DEDUCTION FOR THIS OR A STANDARD AMOUNT PER DAY?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

MY HUSBAND WORKS OUT OF TOWN 5 DAYS A WEEK ALL YEAR. MY FORMER TAXPREPARED SAID HE COULD COUNT 56.00 PER DAY FOR A DEDUCTION IS THIS CORRECT

Yes, if the expenses are not paid for or he is not reimbursed by his company.

Temporary assignment vs. indefinite assignment.   If your assignment or job away from your main place of work is temporary, your tax home doesn’t change. You are considered to be away from home for the whole period you are away from your main place of work. You can deduct your travel expenses if they otherwise qualify for deduction. Generally, a temporary assignment in a single location is one that is realistically expected to last (and does in fact last) for 1 year or less.

What Travel Expenses Are Deductible?

Once you have determined that you are traveling away from your tax home, you can determine what travel expenses are deductible.

You can deduct ordinary and necessary expenses you have when you travel away from home on business. The type of expense you can deduct depends on the facts and your circumstances.

Table 1-1 summarizes travel expenses you may be able to deduct. You may have other deductible travel expenses that aren’t covered there, depending on the facts and your circumstances.

Table 1-1 states the following: 

Lodging and meals

Your lodging and meals if your business trip is overnight or long enough that you need to stop for sleep or rest to properly perform your duties. Meals include amounts spent for food, beverages, taxes, and related tips. See Meals for additional rules and limits.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p463/ch01.html#en_US_2016_publink10002660

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Yes, if the expenses are not paid for or he is not reimbursed by his company.

Temporary assignment vs. indefinite assignment.   If your assignment or job away from your main place of work is temporary, your tax home doesn’t change. You are considered to be away from home for the whole period you are away from your main place of work. You can deduct your travel expenses if they otherwise qualify for deduction. Generally, a temporary assignment in a single location is one that is realistically expected to last (and does in fact last) for 1 year or less.

What Travel Expenses Are Deductible?

Once you have determined that you are traveling away from your tax home, you can determine what travel expenses are deductible.

You can deduct ordinary and necessary expenses you have when you travel away from home on business. The type of expense you can deduct depends on the facts and your circumstances.

Table 1-1 summarizes travel expenses you may be able to deduct. You may have other deductible travel expenses that aren’t covered there, depending on the facts and your circumstances.

Table 1-1 states the following: 

Lodging and meals

Your lodging and meals if your business trip is overnight or long enough that you need to stop for sleep or rest to properly perform your duties. Meals include amounts spent for food, beverages, taxes, and related tips. See Meals for additional rules and limits.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p463/ch01.html#en_US_2016_publink10002660

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies