turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kayuc

My mom died in 2014, i received a 1099-R under her estate, what do i do

i started to file my own taxes, do i file a separate tax form because i am her estate 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

@taz4kayu  If the Estate's income was more than $600, to file a Form 1041 for an Estate where income was received after the date of death of the deceased, and if you use TurboTax, you need to purchase the DESKTOP program "BUSINESS" [not to be confused with the terribly similar named Home&Business].  

The Form 1041 is a totally different filing for the Estate and separate from the personal form 1040 for each or any beneficiary of the Estate.

I would warn you that the Form 1041 filing is somewhat more complex than the Form 10fo filing and frankly the Business program is less helpful because it assumes that anyone filing a Form 1041 has some familiarity with it.

If this posted response is useful to you, please click on the upraised hand in the lower left of this post. Thank you. Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, retired FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Veteran USAR O3 AIS/ASA '65-'67

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in the lower left corner -it means nothing but makes those than answer feel wanted.
taz4kayu

Can I file my taxes on 1040 and do account separate estate 1041 or both under my name

It sounds as if your late mother either had a deferred income account such as an IRA or else an annuity.

Let's clear up something right now-  She died in 2014, but you are now asking about this for 2018 tax return?
Did you just receive this Form 1099-R and is the reporting year 2018?

In saying "i am her estate" did you mean that you are the Executor of her Estate?  Was the 1099-R in your name and your SSN or in her name and her SSN or the SSN of her Estate?

If in her name, then if the total income including this 1099-R was $600 or more, the Estate's Executor has to submit a Form 1041 Estate Income Tax return - a totally different story from what you seem to be asking - but you need to determine this before going forward.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If the 1099-R is in your name and uses your SSN, then  you were named as the successor beneficiary.  You need to report  the data from the Form 1099-R in the correct Tax Year.  If it was not received in for 2018, then you will need to file an Amended Form 1040X for the year in which it was reported - according to the tax year reported on the Form 1099-R.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Assuming, for lack of statement by you, that this is really for 2018, you need to carefully look at the Form 1099-R and look at Box 7.

See the attached 3 pages of Distribution Codes that may appear in Box 7.

The most likely Code in Box 7 is "4" - meaning you received the proceeds, whether taxable or not (see Boxes 2) because of her death.

In TurboTax, in the  interview, go to the 

• Federal Taxes - >
  • Personal Income tab ->
  • "I'll Choose what I want to work on"
  • In "Your 2018 Income Summary" screen, scroll down to "Retirement Plans and Social Security"
  • Click on "IRA, 401(k), Pension Plans Form 1099-R"
  • Fill in each field with the values seen on your Form 1099-R
If this posted response is useful to you, please click on the upraised hand in the lower left of this post. Thank you. Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, retired FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Veteran USAR O3 AIS/ASA '65-'67

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in the lower left corner -it means nothing but makes those than answer feel wanted.
taz4kayu

Yes, her name, do I submit a 1041 with my taxes or file it separately

The original poster was @kayuc  are you the same person, @taz4kayu ?

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE

- Just donating my time
taz4kayu

Yes
taz4kayu

This is my situation:
If in her name, then if the total income including this 1099-R was $600 or more, the Estate's Executor has to submit a Form 1041 Estate Income Tax return - a totally different story from what you seem to be asking - but you need to determine this before going forward.
Should I file with my taxes or a separate estate taxes

who is the Executor or personal representative handling all this?

every deceased person has an estate. You can't be the estate. It is a separate third entity.

fanfare, please stay out of the conversation.

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE

- Just donating my time

@taz4kayu  @kayuc   I and every superuser here are only volunteers trying to help out taxpayers. We are not employees; we receive no income or benefits.  If you are not able to properly respond to the questions that were already asked, I cannot help you.

Please go back and read what was written!

1. What year was the 1099-R issued and for what tax year?

2. Confirm that the 1099-R was issued in your mother's name and with her SSN!! - and not in your name and not on your SSN.

3. If your late mother passed away owning assets that generated more than $600 of income after her death, the executor of the Estate (you seem to have said you are the executor) must produce a Form 1041 for the Estate, and in so doing produce the accompanying Schedule K-1 which shows have the income, expenses, and excess deductions passed to the beneficiary (presumably you).

4. Assuming that the 1099-R was indeed addressed to your late mother and therefore her Estate, then that declared income would have to be reported on a Form 1041, along with any other income such as interest, dividends, proceeds of assets sold.  If that happened, then the 1041 would show a transfer, in the year that was appropriate to the 1041, to you!  Therefore, in the year that the inherited income reached you, you should or should have reported that transferred income as shown on the Schedule K-1 (specifically!) on your own tax filing for the relevant year.

5. You have failed to state in what year the Form 1099-R was received, although you seem to state it is relevant to 2014.  Assume that it was issued in 2014, then what was done for tax year 2014 in 2015?

6. Lastly, and truly not as an insult, you seem very confused in regard to differentiating the assets and income of your mother's estate and your own assets and income.  They are not combined.  What would eventually bring that income and those assets to you is the transfer that occurs accompanying the Schedule K-1.

Perhaps in regard to what may be a failure to have properly reported 2014 income by the Estate, and if this is true for significant income, you probably should seek professional advice.  However, remember that if significant income and income-producing assets were transferred to you as beneficiary of the Estate, that Schedule K-1, in the relevant year of transfer, has a tax liability impact on you and your Form 1040.

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE

- Just donating my time
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies