Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do graduate students need to pay taxes on health care that shows up on our 1098-t?

I am a graduate student with a 1098-t that reports $13,169.76 in box 1 and $16,889.71 in box 5. The extra $3719.95 is the exact amount that graduate student health insurance costs. While the health care is not "mandatory" I also cannot opt out of the health insurance and instead pocked that $3719.95. As such, it seems that when I enter my 1098-t it lowers my refund quite a bit, considering that $3719.95 that I cannot otherwise obtain as taxable income.

Are graduate students liable for the tax on this health insurance cost? Or can we omit the 1098-t in this case?

Thanks for any help you can provide on this matter!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Do graduate students need to pay taxes on health care that shows up on our 1098-t?

Yes, healthcare is not considered an education expense, so the amount of the scholarship that paid for that will need to be claimed as income, or, if the scholarship is not restricted, it can be applied to any other out-of-pocket expenses you may have had, such as books and/or supplies.

You can report the  $3719.95 as medical expenses and it might be deducted on Schedule A (if applicable). 

According to the IRS:

“Qualified education expenses don't include amounts paid for:

Insurance;

Medical expenses (including student health fees);

Room and board;

Transportation; or

Similar personal, living, or family expenses.

This is true even if the amount must be paid to the institution as a condition of enrollment or attendance.”

CLICK HERE for IRS Pub 970 Education Credits

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies