turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I change my business structure mid year and receive a new EIN. Which EIN do I use when I file my Taxes ? Is there a way to use both? Does it matter which one I use?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

If I change my business structure mid year and receive a new EIN. Which EIN do I use when I file my Taxes ? Is there a way to use both? Does it matter which one I use?

What type of entity were you?  what type of entity are you now?
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Carl
Level 15

This is not as simple as you may perceive it. What did your business change from? What did it change to?
For example, if you changed from a single member LLC to a multi-member LLC, you will be filing a final SCH C for the single member LLC showing the closure/disposition of that single owner business. Then you will file a completely and physically separate 1065 partnership return showing the acquisition/creation of a completely new business that is a multi-member LLC with two or more owners.

Sorry, I guess that is important. I had an EIN when we first started business as just a DBA, then after creating an LLC I applied for a new EIN.

So DBA to LLC

Neither DBA or LLC is a recognized tax entity. See <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/business-structures">https://www.irs.g...>
Carl
Level 15

The only difference between a DBA, which is a sole proprietorship, and a single member LLC for tax purposes, is the spelling. That's it. Both are considered a disregarded entity for tax purposes. Your business structure did not change one iota, while at the state level the business "type" may have. You had no need to apply for a new EIN. I recommend you not even use the new EIN.

If you use the new EIN then you have to close the old business with the old EIN, and open a completely new business with the new EIN. That means you'll be filing two SCH C's for the tax year, and just creating a bunch of unnecessary work on your part.

I suggest you ignore the new EIN and file one SCH C with the old EIN and press on with life. It doesn't matter that the name of the business may have changed either. File the SCH C with the most current business name under the old EIN and be done with it.

There could be an issue if someone sends the OP a 1099-MISC with the new EIN.
Carl
Level 15

Yes, and they'll have to deal with it if that happens by requesting the issuer send them a corrected one. It will be a "whole" lot easier and simpler to do that, than the alternative of closing the old and opening the new business.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies