turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bearbiker

Won't let me past entering my driver's lic info

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Correct. 

TurboTax is now requiring you to enter a driver's license or other state ID to e-file.

Many states have mandated this information as a way to protect against identity theft.

If you have a license and the return is not accepting the information, I advise you to clear your cookies, see the three dots in the right corner of your browser, and retry.

If you do not have this information, you will need to print and file by mail.

I'm not using a web browser to file, this is within the app.,

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

If you are having problems with the driver's license identity verification screen on your smartphone app, try logging in to your TurboTax account using a notebook or desktop computer.

Your other option is to skip the driver's license entries altogether (delete anything already entered), and "continue" through the filing process. You may not be able to e-file your state, but should be able to e-file federal and then print/mail your state return.

Your driver's license number is actually not required to file your federal taxes, nor is it required to file most state tax returns, but could help speed up the processing of your return and will not affect your return’s submission. Omitting any of this information may delay return and refund processing.

Some states (e.g. Illinois and Alabama) do require a driver's license to electronically file a state return..

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies