Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1


Hi! I currently receive income from pension, SS, and 401k. Even with 7% withheld from my pension in federal income tax, I owe around $2K each year. How do I calculate what percentage of income tax should be withheld?


1 Reply
Employee Tax Expert


Hi DLottcs,


To be accurate, you should submit a 2022 Form W-2P for all pensions/annuities.

Form W-4P Withholding Certificate for Periodic Pension or Annuity Payments

Please see page 2, Example 2 for the largest pension; Example 3 for the smaller pensions.


Alternatively, you can use the most accurate way.

IRS Tax Withholding Estimator


Or make it simpler, since you know with the current withholdings, you have a balance due approx. $2K per year, you can pay estimated tax payment on your own to cover the shortage.


Form 1040-ES, Estimated Tax for Individuals


Paying online is convenient and secure and helps make sure we get your payments on time. To pay your taxes online or for more information, go to

IRS Direct Pay – for online transfer directly from your checking or savings account at no cost to you.

Pay by card – To pay by debit or credit card. A convenience fee is charged by these service providers.

Hope the above helps.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies