sthpaw30

With my 1040, I also filled out a form 9465 to make installment payments on what I owe. I wanted to make an initial payment of $4000. How do I do that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

If you told Turbotax during the installment application (assuming you filed a Form 9465 through TurboTax), then a Form 1040-V voucher should have printed along with your return for that amount.  You should send your check for the $4,000 along with Form 1040-V to the IRS.  It won't need to be received before April 18th, as long as its postmarked by 4/18, you will not be charged interest/penalties on that amount - though, you still will accumulate on the rest of your unpaid balance. 

Also, you don't have to use the check/voucher method.  You can make the same payment online directly at the IRS website if you wish and you can just ignore the printed voucher -

https://www.irs.gov/payments 

https://www.irs.gov/payments