turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ec1

Will TurboTax calculate W-4 withholding allowances based on the new 2018 tax rates?

I see that the W-4 withholding calculator is currently unavailable on the IRS's own web site. They have withdrawn it while they update it for the new 2018 tax rates. Are these new rates already built into TurboTax's W-4 calculator, or should we wait for an update?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomK
Expert Alumni

Will TurboTax calculate W-4 withholding allowances based on the new 2018 tax rates?

Turbotax W-4 Withholding Calculator is for tax year 2018.  https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/w4/

"Can I find out what impact tax reform has on next year’s (2018) taxes?

Yes. You can estimate your 2018 taxes at any time with TaxCaster. It’s up-to-date with the latest tax laws and can calculate both your current, and future year taxes."

Both TurboTax Online and CD/Download versions are regularly updated; as is TaxCaster.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
TomK
Expert Alumni

Turbotax W-4 Withholding Calculator is for tax year 2018.  https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/w4/

"Can I find out what impact tax reform has on next year’s (2018) taxes?

Yes. You can estimate your 2018 taxes at any time with TaxCaster. It’s up-to-date with the latest tax laws and can calculate both your current, and future year taxes."

Both TurboTax Online and CD/Download versions are regularly updated; as is TaxCaster.

ec1

Thank you for responding, but this does not exactly answer my question. First, I'm not asking if the W-4 Withholding Calculator is for 2018 (of course it should be). I'm asking if it incorporates the new tax rates enacted in the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (the new tax law, passed in December). Second, I would like to know if these new tax rates are built into the W-4 Calculator in the version of TurboTax installed on my PC, not Intuit's online tool.
TomK
Expert Alumni

Please see updated answer.
wbmailbox

Where is the new W-4 calculator within the CD version? TurboTax use to ask you if you wanted to review it.

Yes, where is the calculator? None of the "Analysis & Advice" tools are working on my CD version.  I get a spin of the "loading" dialog and nothing.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies