turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jlr806

Will the IRS take my initial payment direct debit for my installment plan or should I mail a check?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
TomK
Expert Alumni

Will the IRS take my initial payment direct debit for my installment plan or should I mail a check?

You will receive a letter from the IRS once your payment plan has been accepted, and your automatic debits will begin after that.  Please note that this can take up to three months to process, and penalties and interest on the unpaid balance will accrue during this time. 

While you are not required to do so, you are able to begin sending payments before you receive the letter (in addition to your initial payment).  If you do so, make sure that your check has your social security number and the tax year to which the payments should be applied.  It would also be a good idea to include a short note indicating that you are making a payment toward your 2018 (or applicable year's) balance.

Note: You should pay as much of the outstanding balance as you are able to (even if it is not the full amount) before April 15, 2019, to reduce the amount of interest and penalties that will be applied to your account.  You will be assessed an underpayment penalty for any amount of unpaid tax, which will be assessed based on the balance due as of April 15.  Additionally, the IRS will begin to assess interest on the unpaid balance then.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies