Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

caseyuuu
Returning Member

Will I get penalized for filing my taxes 20 minutes after midnight May 17 2021?

can anyone advise me if I will get penalized for filing after midnight, the time stamp submitted was 12:18am May 18, 2021. I live in FL eastern time zone. So my question is what time zone is the federal deadline? If I will be penalized, what should I do at this point? It's my first year filing my own taxes.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@caseyuuu No--- just file as soon as you can .  There is  mostly no penalty for filing late  ( not till the extension period is gone).  Don't worry

Your deadline is midnight in your own time zone.   If you are getting a refund there is no problem with being late.   If you owe...and you are 20 minutes late.....they will likely let you skate....but that might depend on how cranky they are these days....

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
lj55

I guess we'll both find out.  I tried to transmit my return and it just wouldn't go.  Finally I had to reboot.  I was 42 mins late.  My guess is there's some room for error because everyone is trying to send at the same time and sometimes the network just won't cooperate.  You can always blame it on Turbo Tax (their system was overtaxed:).  Good luck to all.

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@lj55 , @caseyuuu  -- I have enough of the IRS people to know they are  generally pretty human.   Don't worry -- you will be OK.  Sure the Operational Manual calls this out -- this thing covers every action

Stay safe

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies