Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bhonley

Will I be able to finish submitting my taxes if I am filing married but separated to an illegal alien and don't have contact with him or know his ITIN?

We have been separated since 2 months after getting married and I moved to another state. I am forced to file married but separately and I'm unable to submit my filing since I don't have his ITIN and I cannot contact him to ask. He has also been claiming his parents (one who's been dead a few years but both were still living in Mexico) on his taxes which I know is illegal but I have no way of reporting him for that. I'm sure he will not have any trouble filing his taxes as he pays for tax prep every year. I can't afford that so I do it free on TurboTax but this is the first time I've had problems submitting my tax filing.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Will I be able to finish submitting my taxes if I am filing married but separated to an illegal alien and don't have contact with him or know his ITIN?

If you are a US citizen or US resident and your spouse does not have a Social Security number or an ITIN and you are not applying for an ITIN with the tax return then you can only file your tax return as Married Filing Separately.  Where asked to enter the spouse's Social Security number enter 999-88-9999.  You can only print and mail your tax return, it cannot be e-filed.  When you print the tax return erase the Social Security number for your spouse and manually enter NRA for non-resident alien.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for the procedure to print and mail a tax return using the online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1944348-how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online

bhonley

@DoninGA well the thing is, I don't know if he is or isn't a permanent resident. I've been told they can buy faked legal docs and just because I've seen a supposed social security card and a supposed permanent resident card does not mean they were real. He only had a Mexican passport but no driver license in the state we lived in. I have no way of printing anything to mail either. I don't understand why I won't be allowed to e-file just because I married a loser. I can't even file for divorce because of my current financial situation and I am not able to get help with anything without incurring some type of charge. 

Since you do not know if he has any type of SSN or ITIN then using the procedure I provided will let you file your tax return as Married Filing Separately.

You need speak to an attorney for how to dissolve this marriage.

bhonley

@DoninGA thanks but as I stated I have no way of printing to mail anything, nor do I have the ability to file for divorce. I appreciate your help anyway. I guess I'll unfortunately just have to skip filing my taxes this year and let the government fine me and keep the few dollars I was gonna get back. 

Even if you do not personally have a printer, you can download the PDF of the tax return.  Copy the PDF to an external USB drive and take the PDF to a friend, relative that has a printer.  Or go to a local Office Max or Office Depot or a UPS store to print the tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies