Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why would a single person with standard filing status no dependents Amount of federal taxes withheld weekly drastically change for no reason weekly?

400$ paycheck federal withheld 2.84$ one week.
250$ paycheck federal withheld 32$. Why would every single week fluctuate. I have no 401k, nothing should change except the amount based on how much I make weekly? 
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Why would a single person with standard filing status no dependents Amount of federal taxes withheld weekly drastically change for no reason weekly?

Ask your employer what is going on.  You might need to prepare a new W-4 for them.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/tax-withholding-estimator

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

The amount you have withheld is based on your tax bracket.  It would not make sense to have more withheld when you make $250 than when you make $400.  The amount withheld would be higher the more you make. It would not make sense to have $32 withheld on $250 and then $2.84 withheld on $400. 

You may want to ask your payroll department why this is happening.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
chrisg21123123
Returning Member

Yes, I would normally simply ask my boss. I no longer work for the company and currently in arbitration over regaining my job back. Possible wrongful termination. That being said I cannot contact the company. And yes, my tax situation makes no sense. I am the lowest bracket. I did not get paid for vacation, promotion,401k, personal withholding, no change in status whatsoever. I cannot afford a CPA hence I am hoping you lovely people might possibly have some answers.

Without giving too much info I can show a few examples for amount made and taken out for federal and state.

Also, there are several others whom I worked with that have the same issue, one contacted HR and HR said unless you can show more people with this problem, we can't do anything.  HR will open a ticket to investigate only if "more" people call and complain. I am unsure of any new changes. That was December 2022.

Your issues go beyond what we can help with in this user forum.  You have a problem with your (former) employer and possible shady bookkeeping/payroll practices.   We cannot advise you about that.   If you have a W-2 from that employer, you can tell us what is in boxes 1 and 2,  or boxes 16 and 17 (which state?)  along with your filing status, etc., and we may be able to discern if tax was underwithheld for 2022.    But that W-2 will be the one that was sent by the employer to the IRS, so it is the one you have to work with to prepare your 2022 tax return----unless the employer issues a corrected W-2 to you.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
chrisg21123123
Returning Member

Box 1 =  21708.16  Total

Box 2 = 451.34       Federal

Box 4 = 1345.91     Social Security

Box 6 = 314.77       Medicare

Box 17 = 805.00     state of Colorado

FIled as Single, Zero dependents. no 401k, no extra withholding.

2 week example of witholding. 05/12/2022   Gross income = 423.20$       Fed=5.01$   State = 16.00$

07/21/2022  Gross income = 397.81$        Fed= 2.47$   State =15.00$

More than half of the Federal over the year are 0.00$ witholding 

Every state witholding is an even number.

For a bonus I got of 643.56$   I was taxed Fed=141.58   State=29.00$

The previous year looks to be the same as far as I can see but I got a Federal Refund: $2,622

I am paying in 427.00$ this year. State is about the same I get some money back.

I hope that helps a little.

Thank you for the feedback so far.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies