turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why won't box 10b let me put $300 as my cash contribution? I'm filing as married filing jointly so why do I keep getting an error saying 'Cash Charitable is too large"?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Why won't box 10b let me put $300 as my cash contribution? I'm filing as married filing jointly so why do I keep getting an error saying 'Cash Charitable is too large"?

Please follow the steps below to enter the charitable cash contribution for 10b. Do not enter them under Iemized Deductions.

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click "Federal" from the left side of your screen
  3. Click “Deductions &Credits” on the top
  4. Scroll all the way down and click the "Wrap up tax breaks" button
  5. Continue until the "Charitable Cash Contributions under Cares Act" screen
  6. Enter your charitable cash contributions.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

That’s what I’ve tried but when I get to the final review stage it gives me an error that says ‘Check This Entry’ and that the cash charitable is too large even though it’s set at $300

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

TurboTax ONLINE

Click Tax Tools on the left side bar

Click Tools from the drop-down

Click the "Topic Search" box on the screen

Type or scroll down to    standard deduction and exemptions

Click GO 

The next screen gives you an option to change your selection from Standard to Itemized and back. You do not need to change your selection

Scroll down to the bottom of that screen and click CONTINUE

The next screen is the Charitable Cash Contributions under Cares Act screen

IF YOU ARE CLAIMING STANDARD DEDUCTION enter the amount of cash contributions you made, up to  300

IF YOU ARE ITEMIZING DEDUCTIONS enter 0

Scroll down and click Continue

Click Continue on the next screen

DESKTOP

Go to Step-By-Step input

Click Federal

Click Deductions & Credits along the top

Click “I’ll choose what I work on”

Edit or Update Donations to Charity in 2020 if needed, then click “Done with Charitable Donations”

Scroll down the “Your 2020 Deductions & Credits” screen and click “Done with Deductions”

Click Continue on the “Let’s Check Your Deductions and Credits” screen

Continue through the following interview questions until you get to the “Here Are Your 2020 Deductions & Credits” screen

Click Continue

If the next screen says “The Standard deduction is Right for You!” click Continue

ON THE NEXT SCREEN enter the cash contribution made in 2020 and click Continue

Your 1040 should update

If you are itemizing, enter zero (0) 

“The new "up to $300 above the line cash charity donation" is available for tax year 2020. This allows a Taxpayer to claim up to a $300 credit which is subtracted from income on the 1040 line 10c if the Taxpayer is claiming the Standard Deduction. (If you Itemize Deductions, all your donations will be listed on Schedule A.)"

karenHop95
Returning Member

There is not a tab to wrap up taxes

karenHop95
Returning Member

I think I got it now

rmschard

I tried this and it doesn't let me move forward.   I am taking standard deductions married filing jointly and only entered $200. It keeps saying cash contribution too large.  I cannot e-file until its fixed

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Try @KathrynG3 's  answer to resolve this issue:

To get past this error, try deleting what is in the Charitable Cash Contributions under Cares Act page. TurboTax can carry your original donation amount to this line for you.  

To do this in TurboTax, assuming you entered cash donations in TurboTax already separate from this entry, follow these steps: 

• From the left menu, select Federal. 

• Go to the second tab from the left, Deductions & Credit. 

• Scroll down to Donations to Charity in 2020 and select Edit/Add to review what is listed and confirm it is correct. 

• Select Done with Charitable Donations. 

• Answer any additional questions and select Wrap up tax breaks and continue through the prompts. 

• When  you see Charitable Cash Contributions under Cares Act, highlight the contents of the cell before deleting it so that it is truly blank and delete the entry.  

• Select Continue. 

• Repeat Wrap up tax breaks to get the optimizer to verify you should take the standard deduction.  

• When you see the Charitable Cash Contributions under Cares Act page, you should see your full donation amount posted here already. This is fine.  

To see what will be reported,  

• Go to the left menu and select Tax Tools. 

• Select Tools and View Tax Summary.  

• Go back to the left menu and select Preview my 1040. 

• Scroll down to Line 10b. You should see 300. 

• To return to your program, select Back from the left menu. 

• Continue with your Review. 

hhll
Level 2

I tried this and still get the error. Why is the software not fixed.

hhll
Level 2

i see this Turbo Tax 2022. Please provide instructions to fix for 2022

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

In TurboTax Online, Federal 1040 line 12b Charitable Cash Contributions under CARES Act can be entered or removed at either:

• Federal Taxes / Deductions & Credits / Your tax breaks / Donations to Charity in 2021 or 
  • at the screen Charitable Cash Contributions under CARES Act immediately following Based on what you just told us, the Standard Deduction is best for you.

At which point are you entering the deduction?  It is also possible that there entry is at both places and is causing your error message. Make sure that you address the deduction being at either possibility. 

• You may want to remove the entries at Donations to Charity in 2021 by deleting the entries.
  • Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Wrap up tax breaks.
  • You will see the screen Based on what you just told us, the Standard Deduction is best for you.
  • At the screen titled Charitable Cash Contributions under the CARES Act, make sure that the box contains the amount of the deduction for which you qualify.  Enter $0 if you do not want the deduction.
  • At Other Tax Situations, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Let’s keep going.
  • Continue through Review.

Go to Tax Tools / Tools / View Tax Summary / Preview my 1040 to view line 12b for the charitable deduction.

@hhll

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies