brose04141999

Why was my Michigan return less then the refund amount

MY STATE REFUND WAS LESS THAN I EXPECTED

The state will send you a letter explaining the change.  TurboTax does not get any feedback from your state after your return is accepted, so no one at TT knows why your state refund was less.   Did you owe back taxes, child support, or student loans?  Traffic fines, etc.?

Texas Roger

When a state refund amount is less than the amount shown on the state tax return, it is often due to a mistake found by the state or an offset for some reason such as back taxes, back due child support, etc. If the state doesn't send you a letter of explanation, you will have to contact them to find out the reason for the change. Use this link to find your state's web site: 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refund-status/help/how-do-i-track-my-state-refund/00/25571
RobertG

There are a number of reasons why your state refund might be less than the amount shown on your return.

Sometimes the state will make adjustments to your filed return based on matching their copies of W-2s and 1099s to your return.

If that happens, you should get a letter from the state explaining the adjustments.