Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is TurboTax asking for my state tax refund?

In the wages and income section interview TurboTax is asking for my state tax refund information from last year. Why is TT asking for this rather than populating the fields with the prior year information, given that I used TT last year and imported that information to this year's return? This is very aggravating.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
PattiF
Expert Alumni

TurboTax is asking for the refund amount for the state to verify that the amount that was calculated in the prior year is the amount that you received. The refund may have been changed by the state.

The state refund from last year may be taxable if you itemized deductions last year, claimed state and local income taxes, and claiming the deduction increased or decreased your tax bill.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You say "TurboTax is asking for the refund amount for the state to verify that the amount that was calculated in the prior year is the amount that you received. The refund may have been changed by the state." Then why doesn't TT at least show you the amount of record in the program and ask you to verify or update? The way it is presented makes it seem as if TT doesn't have any number.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies