Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Why is TT telling me to mail Form 8453 to the IRS manually? I uploaded a PDF of my detailed 1099-B to TurboTax. Doesn't TT send my uploaded PDF 1099-B w my e-filing?

Long/Short is not relevant hewre, the relevant part is if the 1099-B is in IRS's hands or not. If IRS hasn't your 1099-B do not summarize.

If you summarize other than A or D or you'll get a 8453. 

cjmarkie

Why is TT telling me to mail Form 8453 to the IRS manually? I uploaded a PDF of my detailed 1099-B to TurboTax. Doesn't TT send my uploaded PDF 1099-B w my e-filing?

I agree something is wrong.  I have no asset dispositions outside of what is on my brokerage 1099-B, yet somehow TT has flagged me as having disposed of an asset outside of the 1099-B.  It says I need to attach the 8949 for this, which of course doesn't exist or is blank.  

I called a live person but they couldn't get past trying to get me to hire tax help, I don't need tax help, I know what the problem is I just don't know why TT generated the 8453, so I can't figure out how to fix it.  I already filed so I guess I'll just have to write a letter to the IRS.   I can't say I expected TT to know how to fix this so I am satisfied.   What do you want for $70?  Sheesh

Chris Markiewicz

@cjmarkie 

IRS requires details for all sell transactions, whether or not you got a 1099-B.

IRS requires details to be listed on a Form 8949,
or on your other forms (e.g. consolidated 1099-B) which have the same information and in the same manner as Form 8949.
Either way, if you choose to summarize, you have to mail the transaction details to the IRS within three business days of IRS accepting your e-Filed tax return.(unless you have attached a PDF of the transactions details to your e-Filed return. TurboTax seems to be adding this feature now).
Exception: if you summarize Category A or Category D, Form 8949 is not needed for transactions without adjustments. No mailing is necessary.
If you don't have a 1099-B , for instance from crypto, your sales category is C or F.

There is no exception for these categories.

TurboTax is frustrating and can't even handle basic PDF attachment. The "online premiere" version clearly gives you an option to attach PDF (1099B) if you select a summary of "non covered" securities and that allows it to sent PDF as an attachment to IRS. 

Now we'll help you upload your 1099-B since the IRS requires a copy
The IRS requires a copy of your 1099-B because you need to provide documentation for some of the transactions on your sales summary.
If you have a PDF copy, upload it and we'll send it to the IRS for you.
If you don't have a PDF copy, you can skip upload and we'll help you mail a paper copy.

"Experts" here keep giving different answers. Super frustrating. If TurboTax doesn't fix this , moving to different software next year. 
pesbos
Returning Member

is this new this year

do they require a copy by mail?

tfer

I have form 8453 and I have the supporting detail they want to compare with my efile TT reutrn. What is the address where I send it? 

Thanks for any guidance you may have for me!

Tfer

@tfer wrote:

I have form 8453 and I have the supporting detail they want to compare with my efile TT reutrn. What is the address where I send it? 

Thanks for any guidance you may have for me!

Tfer

As stated in the instructions for the Form 8453 - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8453.pdf

Mail Form 8453 to:
Internal Revenue Service
Attn: Shipping and Receiving, 0254
Receipt and Control Branch
Austin, TX 73344-0254

I am using Turbo Tax Business and TT Business State for California. I e-files on March 9,2022 for my 2021 S-Corp Taxes. Turbo Tax Business asked me to print, sign and upload Form 8453 for Federal Return but NEVER asked me to print,sign and upload Form 8453-C for CA State. It asked me to do this ONLy after I already e-filed. Now what do I do? Where and how do I upload Form 8453-C to Turbo Tax Business State which is my ERO for the e-filing. I cannot find any help whatsoever on my issue and do not know who to talk to. I am supposed to sign and send it to" the government" within 3 days of acceptance of the e-filing. Both my Federal and CA e-filings have been accepted. 

Please help or guide me where to find an answer to this dilemma. 

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

You may not have to mail Form 8453-C.  Often just sign and save for your records. 

When you printed the return, it should have a 'Filing Instructions'  sheet to tell you which forms need to be mailed as well as the address to which to mail them. 

Since you can't upload 8453 to states (like Federal), you may need to mail it to California. 

Click this link for more info on California Form 8453-C. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

if the brokerage statement is more than 2000 pages can I mail to the IRS on a cd? or is there a way to email it to them? i cant get hold of anyone at the IRS phone number

IRS has a way to take electronic records but it's not documented on IRS.gov.

Maybe you should mail it on a CD.

They will let you know if they are displeased.

problem is i dont have. a cd drive in my macbook, i wonder if they will accept usb, will have to try calling the IRS number weekdays to find out

GeorgeM777
Expert Alumni

Form 8453 is the IRS form to use when sending required paper forms to the IRS.  If you are unable to condense your 1099-B pdf file to a size compatible with uploading into TurboTax, then you will check the 8949 box on Form 8453 when mailing your 1099-B to the IRS.  

Without prior authorization, the IRS will likely not accept your storage device for safety reasons.   Given the number of pages of your 1099-B, its worthwhile to pursue every avenue including getting pre-authorization to submit your date via a storage device in addition to trying to condense the file size of the document.

@precious24

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If box E is checked on on 1099-B, and transactions are not itemized, you will receive the 8453 to provide detailed information.  If you check the data entry forms in Easystep it will indicate that more information is required.

If you're really a TurboTax employee, then please do the following:

Remove all answers except the correct answer from the "community".

I have known enough "experts" in my life to know that a very small number really know what they're talking about.

I don't want "community" "I believe it's this way" assumptions.  I want answers.  

So, I restate the question, as it applies to me:

- I am using the "fat client" version on my PC, not the web version of TurboTax.

- I plan to e-file, as in the past.

- I downloaded the 1099-B (actually everything) from my brokerage.

- It was all filled in, in detail, stock sale by stock sale, in TurboTax.

- First I was told I had to send my 1099-B with Form 8453 via snail mail.

- Today, I am not being told that by TurboTax.

So, what's the TRUTH???  And are you a TT employee?  What do the "credentials" under your name really mean?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies